Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LCD Smart TV's, What's good, what's NOT ?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic.

when looking for a TV try to stick to these brands. they are still quality* built. compared to Sony which seem to have a large return on faulty screens.

i bought a 60" Samsung on Australia Day for just over $1200. i remember when i bought my old TV for $2k which was only a 46"

great tv with great features

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
:axe:
One says stay away from Sony, the other says stay away from Samsung.
Harvey N tells me LG and Samsung are much the same depending on the individual models as to which is better.
Sounds like they are all built down to a price like everything else these days.......

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Everyone has their opinion and experiences, ultimately go find something you like. Samsung's always been my preference, pretty much all I've ever owned in the LCD stakes but it's been a good ride is all, I'm no brand loyalist I'm a wallet loyalist.

Things I've always had against Sony are around the premium you pay for their name and their deficiencies playing/streaming over mass storage or DLNA networks. Every Samsung I've owned has just worked, played every file in every format over every method of playback. Never had a failure or problem in 5 TV's, Nice picture to boot.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
:axe:
One says stay away from Sony, the other says stay away from Samsung.
Harvey N tells me LG and Samsung are much the same depending on the individual models as to which is better.
Sounds like they are all built down to a price like everything else these days.......

i say the Sony part simply because i was getting my LG tv repaired and he had a room full of TVs which consisted mostly of Sonys.

at the end of the day its the luck of the draw. you might get a TV that lives 7+ years or one that dies after warranty ends.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If it's just functionality your'e after , go for Sony or Panasonic , if you like gadgets and lots of extras , Samsung and LG is possibly the way to go .It's down to preference .

Last edited:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
All tv brands will have faulty units, i had two Samsung TV's before my current Sony and they both had issues and had to be exchanged, tv's these days are built to a price. All you can go off are the professional and user reviews for each model. I purchased my Sony due to the glowing reviews it received and i have not been disappointed.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
High end Panasonics are my pick for any TV.
Out of all the TVs we have had the Panasonics are the ones that have the best picture and so far have never died.
Not sure on the current batch, but before they used to make their good screens in Japan and cheaper ones in china. Which is why you could get a 50 inch one for $700, or what appears to be the same TV for $1800.

Yeah, they don't have much useful internet connectivity. But we don't care about that, just stream whatever to it from another device.
I'd much rather have the best picture I can afford rather then extra crap I don't need.

Go to as many shops as you can and check out as many different TVs, the ones with the best picture should stand way out.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
We have samsungs and no problems here the screen quality is outstanding the super dark black makes visuals so good color and deep color vibrance is incredible . I wouldn't touch sony with 10ft pole

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's starting to sound like Samsung or Panasonic, with extended warranty either way ??
Then there's the option of buying from Costco which essentially gives you free lifetime warranty on all their products. Just their selection is limitted - possibly down to the models they think will go the distnace?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS