Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LE0 and 4SP Auto -> LY7 and 6SP Manual

onlyinred

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore S
So, I'm a weirdo and I really love VZ wagons. At the moment I have a 2003 Commodore S and it's amazing but it's just not for me. I miss having a wagon, so I'm looking at getting a 2007 VZ Berlina wagon instead.

IIRC, the VZ Berlina of that year came with the 172 kW LE0 engine paired with 4L60-E automatic transmission. My dream for this wagon would be get a donor VZ SV6 and swap the 190 kW LY7 engine and the 6 speed manual transmission into it, making it a sexy 250HP wagon to daily. I specifically want the LY7 because this would be my daily car and a V8 is just too expensive to run.

My question is, has anyone done this type of swap before? Aside from the physical work for things like the transmission conversion (drilling the firewall, etc.) would there be any additional electrical or fabrication work? Or could I basically do a plug-and-play with the SV6 looms, computers, mounts, etc.?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
So, I'm a weirdo and I really love VZ wagons. At the moment I have a 2003 Commodore S and it's amazing but it's just not for me. I miss having a wagon, so I'm looking at getting a 2007 VZ Berlina wagon instead.

IIRC, the VZ Berlina of that year came with the 172 kW LE0 engine paired with 4L60-E automatic transmission. My dream for this wagon would be get a donor VZ SV6 and swap the 190 kW LY7 engine and the 6 speed manual transmission into it, making it a sexy 250HP wagon to daily. I specifically want the LY7 because this would be my daily car and a V8 is just too expensive to run.

My question is, has anyone done this type of swap before? Aside from the physical work for things like the transmission conversion (drilling the firewall, etc.) would there be any additional electrical or fabrication work? Or could I basically do a plug-and-play with the SV6 looms, computers, mounts, etc.?
People do it all the time.

You just need to make sure you get the engine loom that matches the new engine, because the cam sensors could be different depending on year.

Then you just need your ecu reflashed to ly7/manual, happy days.

No body mods needed, just add clutch pedal, and use a manual tailshaft. Wiring for clutch is in the dash loom, and you need the manual gearbox loom to connect to the engine loom and dash loom

I reflash ECUs for manual conversions regularly

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not just the extra cam sensors that are different. There is additional wiring for variable airflow motor in the intake plenum. There is additional wiring for two more cam actuators

I would also be using the body harness, BCM, and dash harness. Also converting the HVAC to climate with the use of them.

With that, you’ll get the easier option of having fog lights (if the wiring isn’t there already) and add a snazzy Calais bumper.

onlyinred

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore S
It’s not just the extra cam sensors that are different. There is additional wiring for variable airflow motor in the intake plenum. There is additional wiring for two more cam actuators

I would also be using the body harness, BCM, and dash harness. Also converting the HVAC to climate with the use of them.

With that, you’ll get the easier option of having fog lights (if the wiring isn’t there already) and add a snazzy Calais bumper.
Would I just be able to swap all harnesses, or will I have to mess with new fuses and new wires?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6

Yes, the LY7 also has the Intake runner valve, but it's part of the engine loom. If the matching loom is used to suit the engine, it's just an ecu reflash. Body modules, and dash loom are the same. only need for a dash loom change, is if it was going to be 5 speed auto swapped, and he wanted to have paddle shift.

I reflash them weekly, for manual conversions, and engine swaps.

Reactions: Lex