Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lead or unleaded?

B

Bush VB

i have a vb commodore 202 red motor and i read an artical on lead replacment fluid for post vl commodores, am i affected by this? what fule should i run the 202 on. also i am having a problem with the m20 gearbox, its a very lose feeling gear box and sometime 2 sticks and i cant get it out of second gear and i just wonted to know if i should get a new one or if their is an ajustment needed

any infomation would a grate help, thanks

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Ok,

Run the red 202 on premium POSSIBLE with lead replacement additive (run it and see if it pings).

As with the gears sticking.. done a transmission service lately? Try that first, if that doesnt help, then try a replacement..

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
There have been previous posts and detailed answers on the leaded/unleaded, additives topic have a little search for the answer.

If its only a problem sticking in second it could be mis-adjusted linkages, I would firstly check and adjust the linkages to see it that solves the problem.

Else another big problem with the aussie 4 speed boxes is the centre of the cluster wears oval over a period of time. This will normally cause the box to jump out of gear and normally second.

To have a box sent to a tranmission place for a reco you probably going to be looking at $800-$1200. This wouldnt include getting the linkages done as well.

cheers
Scott

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
M20 gearboxes have there adjustment for the sectors on the outside of the box. The one for second may need a bit of adjustment.
Could be that the sincro's in the box are worn which would cause it to stick. Could also be the shifter is worn

Try an oil change see if that tightens it up a bit. There not the tighest box to start with.
Try the above before going for new box

B

Bush VB

Bush VB

Cheers for the replies guys, im gonna take it to a mate and see if he can make the adjustment for second gear and gonna change the transmision oil, and yes you were right about the center cluster being worn. im just gonna take it easy on the box until i get an upgrade coz i really dont wont it to blow on me :thumbsup:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Run VMX 80 in it it will make it a bit better to shift, alot of people mistakenly run 90weight gear oil in them.
Dont be too worried about a a worn cluster I have seen them last for ages like it, they can be easily fixed, you get the centre machined out and a sleeve put in.

cheers
Scott