Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leak on a 1997 Vs Clubsport

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Thought same thing with one car.

Looked like engine oil but was p/steer leak mixing with dirt/dust...when you smear p/steer leak oil on finger looks almost clear untill contaminated.

After give it good clean grab allen key make sure rocker covers not loose then run it for a bit check rocker covers/manifold & distributor area for leaks....then other areas to find causes.

bobskibruno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport 1997 5.0
Thought same thing with one car..
I think what can throw .
It looks to me like the smoke is .
I'd start by degreasing everythings.

Thanks for your help guys, we ended up degreasing everything and pressure washing it down, followed by wiping the extra gunk off. Took her out for a spin and the smoke kept coming. Looked like you guys were right and it was the rear main. We took it to a different mechanic where he had a good look and found that there was 3 leaks. Rear main, High pressure power steering hose and Timing cover seal (might not be exactly what he said but i have a piece of paper of the leaks somewhere).

Unfortunately the mechanic that we did go to the second time said hes never doing a rear main on a 5ltr ever again after his first one. but we went ahead and did the timing cover seal as he said that was the most important one to do as it was pissing oil. Still don't know what we are going to do with the rear main though...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Rear main is not likely to cause smoke as it will just leak on the ground. Put a drip tray in your garage and call it good. It's just a Holden marking it's territory. The High pressure PS leak will most likely be the cause of the smoke as the line runs right next to the exhaust.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Still don't know what we are going to do with the rear main though...

TBH I reckon once you fix the other two leaks you won't have too much of a leaking prob. I've seen lots of leaking RM's and unless it's leaving a puddle on the ground you tend to leave them alone. Can't 100% vouch for the VS 5L, but on cars I know a fair bit about you leave them. I reckon that's why the mech said he won't do it, because if you do they can sometimes end up leaking as bad as before.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Check pcv is clean & working or add better breather system(catchcan)...can also add bottle of stop leak next oil change.

The above + fixing the 2 other leaks should make it livable to deal with for a few more years.

You really don't want to do rear main unless planning engine rebuild as it's engine out job & remove crank just to replace seal properly then refit it all...some will still leak afterwards

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Rear main is not likely to cause smoke as it will just leak on the ground....

Not necessarily correct. Depends on the exhaust system. My 383 Calais had a leak around the rear main. The leak drips onto the inside of the flexplate (auto) and then gets thrown all around the bell housing. Some of the oil leaks down and out via the dust cover and onto the ground, but a lot leaks onto the driver side exhaust pipe (Genie extractors/dual exhaust pipes/cats). Spent literally $000's trying to get this leak fixed but never succeeded. Unless it's really gushing out, suggest you live with the problem. Having said that, my wife's VS Clubsport had a rear main leak that was repaired under warranty, and it's never leaked again (fingers crossed).