Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking oil from oil pressure sensor

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Hi All,

Hope all is well.

304 bottom stroked 355 with VN heads high rise manifold

I’ve noticed my oil sensor is leaking oil at the bottom of motor - this is connected to my oil pressure gauge on top of bonnet.

I attempted to tighten this and gave it a wipe / clean up. Ran the motor for a couple of minutes and it seems fine. (It’s raining now so not doing drive test atm).

The Pressure reading on the gauge after tightening it the oil pressure went up I noticed as well.

If someone can help me -

My questions are

Do I need to replace the threaded sensor that screws in? Or just tightening it up will do the trick? Monitor and if leaks again replace the sensor?

As I’ve noticed an increase in oil pressure - does that determine it was loose prior?

Thanks for taking your time to read - go easy on me I’m a newbie and learning as I go.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Hi All,

Hope all is well.

304 bottom stroked 355 with VN heads high rise manifold

I’ve noticed my oil sensor is leaking oil at the bottom of motor - this is connected to my oil pressure gauge on top of bonnet.

I attempted to tighten this and gave it a wipe / clean up. Ran the motor for a couple of minutes and it seems fine. (It’s raining now so not doing drive test atm).

The Pressure reading on the gauge after tightening it the oil pressure went up I noticed as well.

If someone can help me -

My questions are

Do I need to replace the threaded sensor that screws in? Or just tightening it up will do the trick? Monitor and if leaks again replace the sensor?

As I’ve noticed an increase in oil pressure - does that determine it was loose prior?

Thanks for taking your time to read - go easy on me I’m a newbie and learning as I go.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
IMG_8852.jpeg

This was after I cleaned it up and tightened it.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Ahh, the Black Motors ! haven't seen one of those for some time.

Depending were its leaking,
Id be inclined to remove the fitting, clean it up, inc the threads,
Make sure you don't lose the olive if it has one under the top nut,
I am assuming its not a flared pipe,

When refitting,
Apply a bit gasket cement on the threads, and on the top and bottom of the top nut, and around the olive, [but not to much].

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
They were the first injected 6 for Holden,by memory.
Wasn’t really sure how they went,
As I never drove one,

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it was me, I'd be getting a copper oil feedline and throw the plastic one in the bin...

And yes, clean the thread up as suggested...I used thread tape on my aftermarket oil pressure switch

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
it looks like a speed shop special Id get rid of it before it pisses oil . of course the gauge will read higher now as its not losing oil from its pick up point.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it was me, I'd be getting a copper oil feedline and throw the plastic one in the bin...

And yes, clean the thread up as suggested...I used thread tape on my aftermarket oil pressure switch

If it was me I'd still rather have slightly less accurate electric guage...only use mechanical guages on new startups or tests.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it was me I'd still rather have slightly less accurate electric guage...only use mechanical guages on new startups or tests.

Funnily enough I do have an electric gauge in my VC.....

Another brand of car I have a copper line to the gauge....Put it in 15 ish years ago