Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking oil onto engine mount

TheDmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey guys!

So I noticed I had a slow oil leak. You can't tell by looking in the engine bay, all looks clean there. It's not until you look under the car you can see oil on one of the engine mounts. Just wondering if anybody has a rough idea as to where the leak would be if it's dripping onto that specific engine mount. Around the AC compressor sort of area. Car is a 99' VT V6 Commodore. I've tried catching oil on cardboard but it only leaks every now and then. Noticed a couple drips in the drive way though.

oF0pG68.jpg

vaEhvJG.jpg

Thanks in advance

EDIT: So I've since learnt that engine mounts are filled with a liquid apparently. So that's probably an issue in itself. Totally stumped as to where my oil is going then. No visible signs anywhere

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The oil could be from the sump or rocker cover gaskets or even the mounts themselves.

If oil's disappearing, it's probably burning a fair bit if it isn't leaking it

D

devilly

had a good look at pic's,i noticed on drivers side exhaust looks like you might have oil marks on there.and start motor.

also thought every thing needs a good degrease, but the auto trans plate looks brand new.dunno if it's been replaced recently or maybe its running down that way.

i reckon EYY is correct on rocker covers and then when your driving it's blowing oil back to trans area.

i would suggest a big clean down and then you will be able to see whats going on as you'll see the fresh oil.

TheDmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Cheers guys. It's due for a service soon anyway so I'll get it checked out but I might do an oil change before then just to get me by.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
There's not that much on the left side so I'm thinking it's probably a slow leak from the tappet cover, very common with the Commodores and an easy fix.
First up get up under her and give it a good degreasing and a water blasting and then replace the gaskets on either side and afterwards do regular inspections for further leaks..

Last edited:

gregaust

Reaction score
Will be the mount itself leaking . Another odd leak i've come across is make sure the intake is tight . They loosen with age and weep oil that tracks downwards