Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Led Dash Lighting

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
The buttons don't light up in Exec, Lumina, Acclaim, S, SV6 manual, and VY-I SS.
They do light up in later SS, Calais, Berlina, SV6 auto, Monaro, and HSV models.

And before you ask, it is possible to do but it means the "clockspring" (the rotating thing that gets the electrical contacts to the wheel) has to be replaced along with wires added to the harness, not the mention the wheel button pods need to be pulled apart and the LEDs and resistors need to be soldered in. Oh, by the way - I got the price on a clockspring from Holden - even at trade it was over $300. (needless to say I didn't worry any further about my wheel buttons lighting up)

Jamie - got the colour change thing happening not all that long ago. However it only works if the needles are white in colour, so that when the lights are on the back of the needle reflects the different coloured light.

Oh thats bulls*^t aye, i mean come on they should do that i mean its not like its a lux feature . . . and just out of curosity why SV6 auto and not manual?

Dam i'm cranky i whish mine lit up so bad lol.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
HAH!! Yeh, I feel ripped off that the Auto SV6 gets 'em and I didn't!! ;)

The reason is that basically for the Auto SV6 with "active select" (the little formula 1 paddles on the back of the wheel) do run the illumination circuit to the wheel to light up these buttons, so I guess they figured they'd illuminate the stereo buttons as well. The closckspring for these must also carry more conductors (wires) so the switches in these paddles are connected to something. In the manual they naturally don't have the paddles, so the lower model clockspring was used. PITA!!

I've actually given thought to modifying the clockspring, but in the end thought better of it. In the case of an accident an insurance company might use the fact that this assembly has been modified as a reason to knock back a claim. (seeing as certain safety features of the car rely on the clockspring assembly...)

Cheerz!

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
HAH!! Yeh, I feel ripped off that the Auto SV6 gets 'em and I didn't!! ;)

The reason is that basically for the Auto SV6 with "active select" (the little formula 1 paddles on the back of the wheel) do run the illumination circuit to the wheel to light up these buttons, so I guess they figured they'd illuminate the stereo buttons as well. The closckspring for these must also carry more conductors (wires) so the switches in these paddles are connected to something. In the manual they naturally don't have the paddles, so the lower model clockspring was used. PITA!!

I've actually given thought to modifying the clockspring, but in the end thought better of it. In the case of an accident an insurance company might use the fact that this assembly has been modified as a reason to knock back a claim. (seeing as certain safety features of the car rely on the clockspring assembly...)

Cheerz!

Bloody Holden, they should have just made them all light up!!!

sh@dow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I've seen the colour morph vids: that's nuts! does it have to be blue and red or can it be done in other colours (green/red for instance)?

sh@dow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I've seen the colour morph vids: that's nuts! does it have to be blue and red or can it be done in other colours (green/red for instance)?

alby85

Adrian
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz ute
hey everyone glad to be a member of this site. ive just picked up a vz ute and i would be interested in a blue dash lights. anyone have any idea on how much this would cost to get done

alby85

Adrian
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz ute
hey phreddy coz u ahve done this can u remember off the top of your head what kind of leds the vz has

MadE21

slapministrator
Reaction score
Website
www.eurocca.net
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6M&BMW(race car)
thats awsome phreddy, love the morphing lights. i'm on the hunt for a 3 panel cluster now, can i just send you the cluster to have the lights changed? i'll get my mate at holden to chuck the new cluster on tech2 and do the reset for me:)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Sure can MadE21 - shoot me a PM to discuss...

:thumbsup: