Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Led Dash Lighting

MadE21

slapministrator
Reaction score
Website
www.eurocca.net
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6M&BMW(race car)
pretty new to the whole "new" holden thing. played around a bit with VN's etc. but i'm a bmw guy at heart, so can you tell me what models have the 3 panel cluster?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Some Lumina, and all Berlina, Calais, Monaro, and HSV models have 3 window clusters. Oh, also one of the Adventra line-up - CX or LX - whichever was the "luxury" end. (best I reckon to stick to the conventional sedan or ute clusters though)

They're around, can be a bit tricky to get hold of though - depending on exactly what you're after. (I got a HSV cluster for my car - hard to find, and kinda spendy....)

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
hey Phreddy, just saw these mods, wondering on the tech level of the install of these led's, and i saw that one other fella used the standard old skool led's and it looked like they lit up alrite, but i'd assume it would b better to go with the little square ones?? im thinking go the bright white all around, except where the fatory had red, in the tacho, temp, fuel and heater with the blue and red, and leave the blue highbeam, and warning lights stock, but my stereo wont match, its an aftermarket kenwood, with changable led's they go red blue or green i think, does the white dials go well with the blue lcd screen in the dash?? it just looks like they stand out and look way clearer than the blue?? dunno, what do you rekon ur the 'yoda' of this kinda mod.. haha

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Heh - "little square ones".... Sorry Mate, not having a shot at you...

They are "Surface Mounted" components - in other words, they solder to the surface of the circuit board, rather than having leads which go though a hole in the board. They are quite tricky to solder in place, and you need to have some pretty professional level soldering tools to get the job done - along with the skills and experience to be able to use these tools. (my soldering iron is worth around $600 alone - the tips cost $35 each!)

I've said this over and over before, it's not a job that I recommend to people to take on if they haven't worked in electronics repair, specifically with surface mounted devices. The cluster must be stripped down to a base circuit board before the LEDs can be changed, and this requires a significant amount of DE-soldering - I have a de-soldering station (worth around $1200) to help me out with that. I have almost 30 years in the electronics industry, and I wouldn't take on the job without those tools.

The bottom line here, if you screw up your cluster, you're up for a furtine to replace it. Holden will not sell you individual components, you must buy a complete cluster. From Holden, they START at around $400 for a base model (Exec etc.) cluster, and the figure heads skywards from there. If it's screwed up, it'll be expensive!! (and still green!!!!)

Having said that, other parts of the job are quite easy - the switchgear and so on - quite do-able by someone with average "hobbyist" skills and tools - just not the instrument cluster! ;) Seriously though, the cluster is a very sensitive instrument. There must be great care taken in stripdown and reassembly, and of course the re-work itself.

As for how the photos appear (your concern about the blue being too bright or something...) again, as I keep on saying, the photos can be misleading! Camera lenses play tricks, especially when shooting LCDs - before you finally make a decision on your colours, try and have a look at an install from somewhere - there are several out and about now, there must be a member of JC who's not too far from you who can give you a look over it? Also have a look at my website for some example photos of different colour combos.

:thumbsup:

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
just asking if it were possible, and / or how much i would be looking at if i were to get you to do an install for me?? :confused: i actually like doing the job as you get some satisfaction out of knowing 'i did that' sorta thing, and would probly do the 'easier' stuff like the switches and so on, depending on if im confident to do the cluster or not, i wouldnt just jump in there with my dse soldering iron all gungho and burn something, but if it looked do-able id probly have a crack, im probly just rambling now, but its been a looooong week, so if your schedual (dunno bout the spelling?) isnt too flat out for an install maybe sometime soonish, and some prices.. like for you to do it all, or just the cluster, or just the led's, :shutup: cheers again for your advice and any info you can provide..

Last edited:

IEVLV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8 M6/LS2
sent you a PM Phreddy

wanting to get my 2 cars done

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
anyone in Brisbane do the same work as you Phreddy?

also could you PM a price that you would charge to do all lights to blue in an '05 VZ SV6 auto?

Mr X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
anyone in Brisbane do the same work as you Phreddy?

Same question for Melbourne?
I'm pretty good with electronics and soldering but I'm not so sure I can do the instrument cluster without spending a chunk of money on equipment.

Also fantastic work Phreddy, I was thinking of doing the dash lights myself before seeing this but had no clue how to do the instrument cluster.

eat4d

Reaction score
dash conversion

Hi all. Well I have just finished changing all the little green led's (except the radio) in my VZ SS. After having PHREDDY put together and unbeleivable LED kit with full instructions it has turned out to look amazing. What I did with the steering wheel controls was to make them RED to got with the red stitching on the steering wheel. If any of you are planning on doing this, I recommend you either ask PHREDDY to do it or be VERY good with soldering and electronics as the surface mount LED's are very fragile and you really only get one go at putting them on! Having said that it was great fun and I highly recommend you give PHREDDY a PM and do it. His instructions are VERY comprehensive and really dont leave you asking "What The?"

Well, I hope you enjoy my pics, I am sorry about the quality but it is hard to take photos of lights without using maflash!!!

Brett

Hey mate can u please emailme [email protected] please what cost as well regards huss