Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Dash Lights

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Look at the bright side ('scuse the pun)

If you wanted green, you don't have to do f**k all. lol

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Just out of interest for those who want to go over the colours they're interested, here's a bit of background info on LED's and what they're made up of to produce the different colours in the spectrum.

http://www.oksolar.com/led/led_color_chart.htm

The reason why we can't have pink or brown yet for example is because the material used has a certain electron value in it's atomic structure. If you've done basic chemistry, you'd know that when atoms get agitated, their electrons get all excited and start jumping to outer shells orbiting the eletron (I'm being 'lamens terms' and 'liberal' about this). This energy is given off as light of different values in the spectrum, mostly what we can see. Most people already know about the 'Periodic Table of the Elements' that funny looking graph with acronyms like Si (Silicone), Fe (Iron), O (Oxygen), etc... we only have a certain amount of different elements and we can only use certain elements in an LED to make certain colours. You can see in the table from that website that the difference of making a blue LED to a green one is that:

Blue has: SiC/GaN - Silicon Carbide / Gallium Nitride
Green has: InGaAIP - Indium Gallium Aluminum Phosphide

It's like when you put certain metals (the periodic table mostly is transition metals) like copper for example and burn it in a flame, the flame goes green. You're actually seeing electrons going crazy because of the temperature. The electrons eventually do go back to their original stable orbits around the atom and that's when the burnt copper atoms escape the flame, oxidise and are now part of the atmosphere. (Hope you're following along... :p). This all happens in a split second by the way.

I believe (given time) we can develop LED's to produce any colour in the visible spectrum of light just using the elements. In the meantime if you want let's say pink, you can get LED's that emit a bright white light and they have a pink filament cap around the housing. Fairly effective but whatever floats your boat.

If you want a purple LED however, it is possible, they have been going around recently. They are expensive though because it's still considered 'new' technology. If you want to see a pure Violet LED in action head here:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledvio.htm

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey, great post FastyOne - I had heard that purple LEDs were out there, but hadn't come across any yet. Wasn't aware that the pink ones are just white LEDs with a filter either, thanx! ;)

Oh, by the way - I AIN'T doin' any purple dashes yet - not until the damned things become a little easier to get anyhow! :D

Cheerz!

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Just out of curiousity phreddy, what are the spec's of the LED's you are using to do the mod?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
For the surface mount LEDs, they're a PLCC2 (3.2x2.8mm) device, peak wavelength 470nm, 120 degree view angle, luminous intensity 180mCd nominal.

The leaded types are 3mm 1000mCd 470nm, and 5mm 1500mCd 470nm. (3mm used in headlight switch and window switches. 5mm used in trip computer panel, and traction control / pwr-econ / active select buttons)

Oh, there's also a 10mm leaded device used for the ignition switch ring, and the gear position indicator in an Auto.

Cheerz!

R

rattattack1313

Very informative mate.. :thumbsup: ...( :rat: <<writes it all down..).........

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hmmmmm.....

Might be shooting myself in the foot here - been trying to build the numbers for a bulk buy-in, but if I keep giving away my "trade secrets" I might never use 'em up!

(already made the mistake of sending a bloke the schematic for my low level output adaptor - haven't heard from him since! Didn't even say thanks!) :ranting:

I guess that's what you get for being a nice bloke, huh?

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Keep the faith

Don't worry, I am sitting patiently for when you have the numbers. I have received your emails and sample instruction book (top job!). I am sure you won't have too many problems when the time comes. Keep up the good work.
Regards, Mark.

jimbo39aus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive ex Cop
Hiya Phreddy and others,
I'm a newbie here and i'm VERY impressed with the job Phreddy has done and is doing for others in the group.

If this is of any help to you Phreddy, i'll be happy to put my hand up for one of your kits and i'm even prepaired to pass over the folding stuff in advance as a sign of my good faith and trust in you! If you are interested pls pm me and we can talk $$$ and
do the deal?
Oh, btw, i'd be needing your expert hands to do the install (for suitable reward of course) and i'm located in Sydney. The beast is an 04 VY11 auto exec, power windows (all four, not just front), no trac control, ex cop blah blah blah...

Keep up the great work bro and i takes me hat off to the other guys here who have been game enough to do the install themselves. I'm too old fat and lazy these days to attempt this kind of mod now....hehehe...

Jimbo...

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey, thanks Mark! No worries Mate, I'm still keen.

Welcome Jimbo. :thumbsup: You'll love this place - I've found out HEAPS of info here, and even shared a little of my own. Oh, BTW - there's a PM waiting for you! ;)

Cheerz All, take care.

I'll be back....