Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Dash Lights

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hi,

I've tried contacting phreddy but i havent got any replies. If anyone knows, it would really help cause it'll save me pulling my dash apart.

Pretty much i'm just generically saying: anything that's green, I want it to be blue.

I presume that some of the back light in the cluster will just be wedge globes - does anyone know, are they T5 or T10 mm? Or are they LEDS?

I presume that behind all the buttons are leds? is this right? (mode switch, a/c etc).

I'm not going to touch the display screen for now, i'm not confident enough in myself, i'd probably melt it somehow...

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
Hi,

I've tried contacting phreddy but i havent got any replies. If anyone knows, it would really help cause it'll save me pulling my dash apart.

Pretty much i'm just generically saying: anything that's green, I want it to be blue.

I presume that some of the back light in the cluster will just be wedge globes - does anyone know, are they T5 or T10 mm? Or are they LEDS?

I presume that behind all the buttons are leds? is this right? (mode switch, a/c etc).

I'm not going to touch the display screen for now, i'm not confident enough in myself, i'd probably melt it somehow...

they are a combination, & the ones behind your a/c dials etc are different again they are tiny little ones, & the one that lights up your LCD display is different again as well

btw , if u pull your cluster out, do it with the battery disconnected as i fried my original cluster after i failed to do this , was good excuse to replace with a VX SS cluster :p

hth

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
thanks guys

I'll have to buy the t5 and t10 led globes off the internet, does anyone know how many i need to get / can reccommend any place other than crazysales.com.au to get them from?

Also, i've been reading through a haynes repair manual, do you really have to take the sterring wheel off to get to the instrument panel?

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
dont think so o.0 when i had my dash facasia(spelling) out it looked like a few more screws n the whole thign came out

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll have to buy the t5 and t10 led globes off the internet, does anyone know how many i need to get / can reccommend any place other than crazysales.com.au to get them from?

Also, i've been reading through a haynes repair manual, do you really have to take the sterring wheel off to get to the instrument panel?

Depends on a number of things as 2 how many u need. R u only doin the cheap way and replacing the globe only? if so heres a simple list, but ur main thing u urself need 2 check up on is wat type of heater control PCB board u have? theres 3 types only way 2 tell is if u pull it out and have a look.

Cluster: 5 globes
LCD screen: 1 (base models) 3 (higher end models)
All switches: 1 globe each (hazard, fog, trac, power, rear window switch, mode button ect...)
Auto: 1 globe
Power window switch block: 4 LEDs (not globes)
Ignition ring: 1 Globe
Heater controls unit type 1: 6 globes
type 2: 7 globes
type 3: 7 globes
Climate control: 6 globes
Headlight switch: 3 globes (soldered in place)

Bare in mind as mofo sixx said all these globes vary in size and shape so u may need 3mm LEDs in some places and 5mm LEDs in others.

With the steering wheel no it doesnt need 2 b touched u only have 2 lower the steering wheel and thats it, then the dash surround is able 2 b removed freely.

ebay is prolly the best bet 2 buy LEDs in bulk form.

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks heaps. I'll keep you posted when i get a chance to pull it all out and get it done. As i work in retail itll probably be after xmas :(

kizza_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
When you say globes... do you mean to replace them with LED's ? would the LED's burn the LCD display?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
When you say globes... do you mean to replace them with LED's ? would the LED's burn the LCD display?

no they wont they opperate much cooler than globes

kizza_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
So you just need to replace all those listed globes with blue LED globes?