Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Led lights in ve

Jabba01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute
I have a 2012 thunder ss ute and have recently bought led globes for high and low beam. How are you guys getting the dust cover to fit over the led bulb?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'm running H9 LED's in the high beams, plenty of clearance for the dustcovers.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
some people cut a hole in them or extend them. Might have to get some with a shorter heat sync

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
I'm running H9 LED's in the high beams, plenty of clearance for the dustcovers.
Out of curiosity, what leds lights did you buy and how do they compare? I've been interested in them for years but didn't think they were suitable to be installed in a standard fitting.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Out of curiosity, what leds lights did you buy and how do they compare? I've been interested in them for years but didn't think they were suitable to be installed in a standard fitting.

These for the Magnum, have similar in the VE's.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Lig...hite-/121149254919?hash=item1c350eed07&_uhb=1
How do they compare? There's no comparison with halogens...
I prefer the light from HID's, but they take awhile to 'warm up'. The LED's are instant, and the light is almost as good the HID's.
These lamps have a cooling fan built in, for the heat sink. As they are high beams, I don't think they'll ever overheat.

They do make high beam worthwhile.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
I have HIDs and there is just comparison, they have to be in projectors though or the light just goes in all directions.

I haven't actually used LED headlights before so I have no experience with them.

heres mine, they are fantastic and I can't go back to halogen ever again. They set me back around $380 installed. Just don't get any with a blue tint or the cops will be all over you.
N4pnsoO.jpg

Commjunk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z Series Sportwagon
Whilst on the subject, what is the common solution among owners for installing LEDs with the limited space available particularly on the drivers side to manage to get the retainer clip to fit back over the LED? It's seemingly impossible from the engine bay without removing the fusebox due to the protruding heat sink of the LED. Is removing the inner mudguard for access to work from underneath any better?

Regarding an alternative dust cover, these look promising -https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dust-Co...635091&hash=item2ccb15a3c9:g:5nEAAOSwrQRZr20F Blingwork Automotive Lighting in Melbourne sell something similar if not the same apparently, however are out of stock at the moment.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Interesting. I must ask, what's the point of the fan if you all have dust covers on? The LED would cook in no time, if being used as a low beam. I'm keen to try them in my high beam, likely without the cover.
Commjunk that cover looks interesting, I however wonder where the air is being drawn from to be exhausted out behind the cover, it would create a negative pressure if the seal itself was any good. Almost need to just fit a fan through the cover, and poke a few holes around it....or just do without the cover at all.

I know the light configurations are different, but this guy has the right idea, moving the seal forward

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
I cut a hole in the dust cap and reversed my heat shroud on......which ever one one it was that didn't fit in behind the dust cap. All wiring is still hidden behind all dust caps. Only thing you can see is the heat shroud, and even that can barely see.