Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Led low beam conversion

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
These things are absolutely garbage. The H7’s aren’t even for projector headlights and the H11 high beam don’t even match the distance length of the factory halogen regardless if they light up 3-4times more at a shorter distance. high beams are meant for distance. I thought I’d try these because I wasn’t happy with how hot the Stedi kits get, hoping they would be really good, but they work exactly how I would expect a $35 set of globes to work, although they do maintain a much cooler temp. The Stedi globes were outstanding even if I won’t be going back to them. It was rude shock how below average the nighteye’s actually are after reading a few people on here we’re actually eating these things.
people buy the cheap globes because when they try the over priced junk like stedi which is just rebranded cheap sh!t from china with a huge price hike they are disappointed in the performance to price ratio.

the nighteyes work perfectly fine in the vf headlights, i have posted photos from my old vf comparing the halogen to the cheap nighteyes and the highbeams are like spotlights and the lowbeams have a decent cut off range so they dont annoy oncoming drivers.

but hey i do admire the marketing ploy, they have to boost sales somehow because more people are catching onto the fact that cheap 20 dollar bulbs are being rebranded and sold for stupid prices.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I wouldn’t mind paying a higher price if that meant the manufacturer/seller actually went to the trouble of engineering their globes and getting them ECE/ADR certified for use in specific (our commodore) headlight assemblies. Instead, all the LED globes I’ve seen either state ”off road use only” or having no statement at all.

You’d think if any led globes were certified compliant, such would differentiate them from the non compliant stuff out in the market place. As such you’d think the compliance would be plastered all over the packaging but ever seen it.…

In that context, why pay inflated prices for what is essentially the same as other cheaper stuff and the differentiation seems to be just marketing rather than engineering :oops:

In essence, whichever led globe one buys for their low beam headlamps, the current state is that they are a non complying product which can get you a fine and a defect sticker on your windscreen. In such a case, may as well get the best “cheap” LED globe, if that floats your boat, or better still stay with quality Halogen globes…

Me, I don’t like paying marketing for marketing’s sake :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jdm178

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
people buy the cheap globes because when they try the over priced junk like stedi which is just rebranded cheap sh!t from china with a huge price hike they are disappointed in the performance to price ratio.

the nighteyes work perfectly fine in the vf headlights, i have posted photos from my old vf comparing the halogen to the cheap nighteyes and the highbeams are like spotlights and the lowbeams have a decent cut off range so they dont annoy oncoming drivers.

but hey i do admire the marketing ploy, they have to boost sales somehow because more people are catching onto the fact that cheap 20 dollar bulbs are being rebranded and sold for stupid prices.

I bought the nighteye based on your post and pictures. But pictures can only show so much. The factory high beam works better than the nighteye. And the Stedi work better than both but they get too hot so I don’t recommend them either. It’s only fair to let people know that these nighteye bulbs are actually garbage and the low beam are not made for projector lights. I felt a need to let people know that the nighteye are no where near as good as the pictures present, it’s a pain in the backside buying and sending stuff back. Facts are they scatter light everywhere but where you want it. Stedi will get to hot to leave in your light housing with a clear conscience.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There are now dust covers available for VE so LED can be used and VZ SS. I think he has now done VX as well.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I've had Narva Gen2 LED's with resistor modules on low beam for a year and they're great. They need to be aimed on the road to get high beam right as they were too high and swung to the right too much from a wall alignment. Low beam has a better light spread but didn't increase the distance much, but high beam is massively better than the stock halogens.
I've used Narva LED's as above for over 2 years and they're faultless. Low beam isn't mind-blowing distance wise but it's no worse than halogen and no worse than the low beam factory LED's on my wife's X3 BMW, much the same actually. FG Falcon reflector headlights are much better than VF distance wise on high beam and I don't think the VF headlight design is that flash to begin with regardless of the light source or globes used.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Sigh, looks like the VF just have crappy designed & outdated headlights and no amount of fancy bulbs is going to help much… I remember noticing a big downgrade in light output and distance when I first got this car doing night driving in the middle of no where (300km out of Perth) compared to my old BMW with it’s factory xeons.

As someone who mostly use this car for long distance (road trip) driving and mostly at night (as I can’t wake up early lol), looks like I’m gonna have to go down the route of sticking some kind of giant aftermarket Light bar in front instead. Lol

Dozer31

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE S1 calais
as far as i am aware the headlights were not changed from the series 1 vf to the series 2 vf so they will fit.
the ebay compatibility search function is totally useless.

this will give you an idea, the last vehicle i had the nighteyes in was my 2014 vf ssv and the ebay search claims the part will not fit but it does fit and work perfectly.
compat.jpg

These are great globes for what they cost.
Sure there are better ones around but will cost you 3-4 times the price.
Only question is do the existing light dust caps need to be modified in the VF as I have these set up in a VE had had to modify caps so it could fit the led fans.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As someone who mostly use this car for long distance (road trip) driving and mostly at night (as I can’t wake up early lol), looks like I’m gonna have to go down the route of sticking some kind of giant aftermarket Light bar in front instead. Lol
Yes, VF halogen headlamp system is in essence defective especially in the LS3 variants as they are a high performance car and they need good vision at night. But it is what it is…

You could talk to an certification engineer and discus HID upgrades. And as the WM caprice had factory HID option with levelling and washer systems, you could pick up the control modules for the levelling and washing systems from a wreckers and use that as a basis for a retrofit to your VF. The headlamp assemblies won’t simply bolt up (wrong shape) but between those and the Chevy SS headlamp assemblies you’d be able to cobble something up that should work.

Unfortunately such isn’t a cheap solution, a very expensive solution measured in the multiple of 1000’s in fact… which is why people just throw in LED globes and convince themselves it’s all legit and doesn’t blind anyone…

In my view, its a Holden fail to not have included HID or LED headlamp assemblies with levellers and washers systems in all V8 VF’s as a standard feature :mad:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Only question is do the existing light dust caps need to be modified in the VF as I have these set up in a VE had had to modify caps so it could fit the led fans.

the ones i used fit without needing to modify.
i did make a larger cap in another thread for the vf highbeam but i never got around to doing the lowbeam.