Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED number plate lights giving warning...

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Hi all,

Decided to upgrade some lights on the car, threw LED bulbs in the number plate area and that sets off the warning in the dash that's annoying af. I might want to upgrade the bulbs for the tail lights too but no way if I get that warning everytime I start the car. Is there a simple fix or does it require soldering a resistor?

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
You need 'canbus' leds,standard globes are 5 watts,led 3 watts. If car senses anything below 5w it thinks its blown. Canbus just means it has a circuit that boost the current draw to 5 watts thus stopping warning. You may find they flicker at start up,its just the computer checking the bulb circuit. Its not visible with standard globes as they are slower to respond than leds.....so not an issue...car doing its test.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
You need 'canbus' leds,standard globes are 5 watts,led 3 watts. If car senses anything below 5w it thinks its blown. Canbus just means it has a circuit that boost the current draw to 5 watts thus stopping warning. You may find they flicker at start up,its just the computer checking the bulb circuit. Its not visible with standard globes as they are slower to respond than leds.....so not an issue...car doing its test.

Thanks for that. I find it kinda odd that the warning came up for the number plate bulbs when I swapped them but it didn't tell me that one of my front parker's was out...

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I had the same. Front parkers are all good, but the number plate leds set off the warning. I just changed them back to standard

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
If you have changed your parkers to led and they ARE canbus leds they will never show bulb failure.
The canbus circuit continues doing its job even when the bulbs blown.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
If you have changed your parkers to led and they ARE canbus leds they will never show bulb failure.

Got some canbus bulbs, threw them in, they light up but I still get the warning which sucks.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I doubt it's a wattage issue that causes it (for Commodores atleast), it's the lack resistance on the circuit you get from LED globes as they left the factory with incandescent globes that give more resistance. It's happened with brake lights and cruise control, so if you throw them in the tail lights your cruise control likely won't work (this seems to be by design as it's on almost(?) every model Commodore with cruise control). Throw LEDs in the indicators and they will probably blink as if there's a blown bulb. I'm unsure of what kind of resistance needs to be on the circuit as I've never done it.

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Seems like disconnecting the battery for a bit did the trick.

Ricki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore V6
Seems like disconnecting the battery for a bit did the trick.
I replaced both my park lights with 2 led T10's from Supercheap and never got any warning come up on the dash. Just replaced both my number plate lamps with the exact T10's from Supercheap and now the "Check lamp" warning comes up on dash.

Did doing this fix the warning coming up on dash?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You need to use Canbus friendly bulbs.
this.