Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED tail light globes and cruise in a VR ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just wondering if LED's would have any affect on a VR ute's cruise control? I'm thinking they should be ok without load resistors in VR ute, because of the way a VR ute cruise is set up.

Last edited:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Cruise brake switch is a separate part and not part of the brake lighting circuit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cruise brake switch is a separate part and not part of the brake lighting circuit.

Yeah that's why I am thinking it LED's will be fine, without resistors. Am I right in thinking this?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Leds with cruise control, No good. I'm referring to brake lights.
With resistors. Unknown?
Brake light? Cruise dash light?
Just looked again at title.
Tail lights & stop lights are same lights.
So no good.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Leds with cruise control, No good.
With resistors. Unknown?

Most cars yes, but the VR Pov Pac is different to a lot of other cars as it has a separate cancellation switch. Generally speaking the load resistors take care of issues with cruise that rely on the brake switch, to function. I just don't know if somehow the VR cruise is connected to the brake wiring.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
there is only one way to find out put them in and go for a drive and see if the cruise works

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have to buy the globes first. Wasn't gonna spend the coin if they mess with my cruise.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
there is only one way to find out put them in and go for a drive and see if the cruise works

I have to buy the globes first. Wasn't gonna spend the coin if they mess with my cruise.

To test, just take the brake globes out and go for a quick drive to see if the cruise still works.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
100% it won't work.

The separate cruise control switch is another level of safety, if the main brake switch fails.

Both need to be operating correctly for cruise control to engage, and this includes the complete brake light circuit.

A single load resistor, in parallel with a brake lamp globe will correct any issues.

Also, most vehicles have a cruise control switch, as well as a brake lamp switch, but they are normally incorporated into one assembly, with two separate circuits. The only exception to this is new vehicles that now use brake pedal position sensors.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for that. I probably won't worry about LED tail lights for while then. CBF soldering in load resistors. Was only gonna bother if it was a quick bulb replacement, and buying two tail light globes while i was buying some reverse and number plate globes.