Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

legal p-plate modifications

INtensity

Reaction score
Members Ride
P-Plater VL
Just FYI:

Intensity, I suggest you re-read the responses from people like old mate etc. as the handling of the car is much better to improve in the long run and when the "spirited" driving comes along you don't have to worry about sliding into a tree like your droning mate in front who went for power and sound...

Ben

cheers ben, ive been looking around at some handling mods, and some of them seem to be really expensive.
these would be the main mods i would make..
suspension
brakes
sway bars
and news tyres and rims
how much for all these would be a decent price??

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
It depends on what you want to spend. You can upgrade everything on the cheap, the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".. It really is so true. Do some research and get some ball park figures, work out an average and then ask some shops etc aswell. Do your research first so you don't get raped because you don't know what it is meant to cost.

Doing all that in one go will be a decent whack to your wallet, at least a few grand for quality stuff. I would take it slowly and learn the car when you install and remove parts. No better way to learn than to do.. Check out the how to's section, there is some great stuff in there.

Also there are modifications you can do that are fun and cheap, like painting your brake calipers (would look great if you got some slotted/drill rotors), a CAI, replace all the bushes under the car with some nolathane type ones.

Doing a full service is a fun thing to do aswell. Set a w/e, get a mate and go over it all. Fluids, leads, plugs, oils (Engine/Trans), water. I swear when you finish, the car feels much better.

Good luck
Ben

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
yeah you really need to make a plan for the car, a budget overall then split the budget into areas say engine, trans, diff, spring/shocks, wheel and tyre, brakes, sway bars and chassis bracing, bushes and rubbers, and one for random other expenses

have an idea of what you realisticly want from the car, why you want it then look for products to fill the wants. just build it up over time with good quality stuff, rather than buying it all now and having lower quality gear. really depends in what you want with the car and how long you will hang onto it.

brakes is fairly easy, start with a fluid change and change the pads to something like the A1RM from GSL Rallysport (site sponsor). if you wanted to spend more you could go a ve upgrade which will need complementry upgrades like wheels if you dont have a minimum of 17 inchers. or even a set of 2nd hand hsv brakes maybe.

suspension could start with just a basic fe2 or kings lows and some monroe gt sport (i think) shocks but you could go some more expensive springs and adjustable shocks all the way to a coil-overs.

then stuff like bigger swaybars (dependant on the spring/shock rates, so do this after) or adjustable sway bars to fine tune the car.

then you'll probably change out some of the holden rubber bushes with some nolathane or similar while you're doing all this so add this into your budget.

but it all comes down to having a good plan/budget, and getting your hands dirty. nothing feels better than looking at your car at the start and the finished product and feeling, yeah i did that.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
extractors send rego sky high, dont know why but they do, especially for p platers haha, i think its not a matter of what u can do legally but wether u get pulled up or not, and havin a p plate on your number plate theyre gonna pull u up just for that, then its gonna be like havin a neon sign sayin pull me over with rims, subs and exhaust mods and with the cold air intake, u hear it suckin from a mile away, a cops gonna hear the near turbo like sound and switch his lights on just cause its a chance to fill his quota...

Where on earth did you get that from. Rego is rego be it a grandma 4 cyl or a thumping V8. Rego price goes on weight class of car,
I was on P plates for the same amount of time as everyone else with 2 commodores over that time.
A VN 5 speed and a then a VT 5 speed both with extractors and 2 1/2 inch with no rear resonator.
VT was lowered and SS kitted, custom Twin throttle manifold that had an awesome induction noise and 1.95:1 rockers along with all the little things and I can honestly say I was never pulled up random. Only ever road side RBT and never had any questions asked.
Admittedly that was 3 years ago since i got off them but it hasn't changed that much.

You just have to be responsible and not fall to peer pressure. Be your own driver.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Originally Posted by jw.pfitzner
extractors send rego sky high, dont know why but they do, especially for p platers haha, i think its not a matter of what u can do legally but wether u get pulled up or not, and havin a p plate on your number plate theyre gonna pull u up just for that, then its gonna be like havin a neon sign sayin pull me over with rims, subs and exhaust mods and with the cold air intake, u hear it suckin from a mile away, a cops gonna hear the near turbo like sound and switch his lights on just cause its a chance to fill his quota..."

just letting you know, every car has extractors.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Originally Posted by jw.pfitzner
extractors send rego sky high, dont know why but they do, especially for p platers haha, i think its not a matter of what u can do legally but wether u get pulled up or not, and havin a p plate on your number plate theyre gonna pull u up just for that, then its gonna be like havin a neon sign sayin pull me over with rims, subs and exhaust mods and with the cold air intake, u hear it suckin from a mile away, a cops gonna hear the near turbo like sound and switch his lights on just cause its a chance to fill his quota..."

just letting you know, every car has extractors.

Bahahahahahahahaha.....

Just letting you know
Every car has an Exhaust Manifold.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
Bahahahahahahahaha.....

Just letting you know
Every car has an Exhaust Manifold.

haha x2. i thought i replied to that 'apparent fact' before but mustnt have pressed reply. damn.

an exhaust manifold (usually cast iron) is alot different to 'extractors'.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
This has gotten hilarious. Trikk.ben man you are sot on, nothing makes the car feel better than doing a service with mates.

To the o.p like Trikk.Ben said. Reserch Reserch Reserch Reserch Reserch (i cant emphasize how important it is not to get ripped off)

i found if you can buy some suspension parts wholesale, that cheapens it a little, especially when you return to that company (in my case) they give you small discounts for loyalty.

deffinitely do your springs shocks and link pins as one package. (link pins arent so important to do at the same time) but if you dont put in shortened

hardened shocks when you replace springs things will go wrong, maybe not quickly, but it wil.

And like ben said by parts here and there and put them on, so you feel your car handling better each time. makes it worth it.