Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legalities on VE headlights.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
No, you hate assholes that fit HIDs into reflector headlights, if you have them in the projector type AND adjusted so they are pointing towards the road and not oncoming traffic, they're fine.

But still illegal, that's the point OP was trying to ascertain.
BTW OP colour and type etc is covered in ADR 13 & 19. Red and blue lights and modifying your lights... particularly red halos in your VE... all a bust. Ping Benboy.

Last edited:

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
But still illegal, that's the point OP was trying to ascertain.
BTW OP colour and type etc is covered in ADR 13 & 19. Red and blue lights and modifying your lights... particularly red halos in your VE... all a bust. Ping Benboy.

I don't think you guys really care if they're legal or not, jaywalking is illegal but everyone still does it.

The point being is, multiple people have stated they haven't had trouble from the police with 6000k's.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
No you are right about having a healthy disrespect to compliance in this over-governed bureaucratic mess of policing citizens and their transport, just 6000k stands out, distracts and pisses me and everyone else, so I think that's what the design law is meant to curb. Ridiculous glare caused by putting high powered blue lights in a Berlina or an old Land Cruiser, deserves a talking to by mr plod.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
No you are right about having a healthy disrespect to compliance in this over-governed bureaucratic mess of policing citizens and their transport, just 6000k stands out, distracts and pisses me and everyone else, so I think that's what the design law is meant to curb. Ridiculous glare caused by putting high powered blue lights in a Berlina or an old Land Cruiser, deserves a talking to by mr plod.

There you go again, talking like you know my car.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Piss off. I don't give one f%#€ what car you drive, was responding to the OP.

Oh okay sunshine.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Thanks for the points of view.
I removed my original HID's because of the glare with the shitty reflector lenses.
The reason I was going to purchase projector's was to rectify this problem and avoid a budgie on my windscreen.

I have been running Phillips extremes for about 2 months and I will be honest they are not satisfactory for my needs driving on bush land roads with roo's everywhere and no supporting lights from the council.

I didn't mean to start a HID shitstorm, but I guess that is unavoidable lol.
I am interested in the 5000k because the 6000k does give of a slight blue tinge and will attract attention I'm sure.
Thanks again guys and I am open to any ideas for a globe that performs better than Phillips and puts out the whitest possible throw onto the road without becoming a nuisance.

Get some spot lights or an led light bar. Thatll solve your problem.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
No, you hate assholes that fit HIDs into reflector headlights, if you have them in the projector type AND adjusted so they are pointing towards the road and not oncoming traffic, they're fine.

That might be true but I still believe if you can't see at night with factory headlights to go get your eyes checked before changing globes etc. if you can't see there may be more serious issues there.

redvpsenator

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator & VS Ute

Too true, you hear these wankers say, " my lights don't bother anyone'.
But when they load up for a weekends camping or fishing the lights are aimed way higher.
Seems some of you blokes never use the highway.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Fact is, that without the complete HID auto leveling system, there will be one point or another that your "berlina projectors that are correctly adjusted" will be blinding, yet alone some crappy 1990s early 2000's halogen lenses that idiots put HIDs into! Halogen lights require the lense to disperse light so they are effective. HID's are so bright that all they need is a single reflective surface, a focusing lense and a cut off mechanism. Putting HID's into Halogen lenses are downright dangerous (not that you are doing this)

I've got a WM Caprice that auto levels the head lights everytime i start the car. If i load up the boot and have 3 people in the back, the headlights will auto level lower than with an empty car. Dirt and dust can also refract the light blinding oncoming traffic, thats why HID from factory come with headlight washers.

Now, i've put HID's into projector lenses before, and just ignored the fact i dont have auto leveling systems and headlight washers, so im not complaining about, or condoning doing this.