Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lets talk exhausts

clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, R33 GTST
hai guise, i have a vh sle with a 253 and ive purchased some genie extractors off feebay, and i want to know what size piping to put for the exhaust, i want duel piping, im thinking maybe 2" each? engine is stock as a rock, although im thinking about a lumpy cam in the future, but that would be it.

opinions? what would sound the best?

also what am i expecting to pay for a duel exhaust with 1 muffler on the back?

cheers

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I think ya should put stock cast headers back on it, keep it original. ;)

clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, R33 GTST
mainly the reason i dont want the stock ones is because the left header has that stupid flap inside that could be jammed shut.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Twin 2.25" should suffice, get some decent mufflers.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
what size are the headers? primaries & end

see attached 3 common designs for V8s delete cats for your setup.
Either 2" or 2 1/4" would be fine depends on what you plan to do down the track and where you want power & how loud or quiet you want it to be

exhaust_holden_v8_vnvs_live_axle.gifexhaust_holden_v8_sedan.gifexhaust_holden_v8_vs_irs.gif

You will get better performance out of a X-pipe setup as it aids in balencing out the high and low pressure periods. If you look at the firing order you will see there are 2 overlapping exhaust pulses on one side, this is what creates the low pressure situations so to stop this a H or X piece is put into the exhaust to link the two banks, this will help extract the gasses out of the double fire.

If your running a full on tuned pipe setup position can be calculated to work more efficently if your chasing every kw or ounce of torque else just make sure its infront of the first muffler or it wont work.

It will also take a little of the crackle out of the exhaust note, make idle a little quieter and lessen the blub blub blub noise a bit but you will get power gains :)

Scott

Last edited:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Rather tri Ys than 4 into 1 style headers. Use those with option 3, bout 2 1/4 inch.

clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, R33 GTST
great advice guys!

in other news, i just got off the phone to an exhaust place. and for a duel 2 inch system not inc extractors (im supplying my own) he quotes 840 ish.

the weird thing is he says the single 2.5 inch system sounds and performs better, which he quoted me 340 supply and install.

he said the duel 2" system with just a rear muffler will sound crap :S

what do you guys think?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Twin into single sounds great. Although mine has single muffler. Be a bit meater duels, two mufflers then into a single.

clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, R33 GTST
id also like to note that im after it on the loud side, i expect to be over the legal limit since this isnt a daily.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Rather tri Ys than 4 into 1 style headers. Use those with option 3, bout 2 1/4 inch.

I'm with SL/ENUT this has got a rear hotdog so it will be on the loud side but you will have drone