Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter mix up

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII berlina v6 auto sedan
Hi everyone I have recently dismantled the top end on my 2000 holden berlina series 2 and I had a lifter tick that I've discovered was a lifter thar had the diaphragm where the pushrod sits seize to the top of the lifter against the retainer spring , the rest all move freely as I believe they should, I can buy a 30 dollar replacement from repco for the one dead lifter but my problem is I mixed all the other lifters up by accident , is it okay in a short term (at most July 2024) to put them back in random order or is it mandatory they go back how they were , the pushrods and rockers are all labelled and organised
Coz I was hoping mid next year to do a supercharger top swap on my berlina so I'd replace the entire top end rocker assembly then.
I also had lim gaskets that went probably 10,000 km ago so I'm replacing that with a set of mace engineering aluminium ones
If I replace the single lifter do I also have to do a break in and replace the oil or is it good just to top the oil and coolant up? This is my 1st time doing a lifter + lim gasket Job alone and I'm trying to do it on the cheap coz my silver one is also in need of some TLC, plus saving hard for a ute
Any help , advice or well wishes is much appreciated

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
hydraulic lifters dont need any run in, only some assembly lube on the pushrod end to stop startup wear before the oil gets to it which is pretty quick anyway, at minimum dip the pushrod in oil first before u fit so oil is all around/thru it, it shouldnt matter which way they go back in but just look at the pushrod tips and lifter contacts to see if any have abnormal wear, if they all have the same wear then it should be fine, the lifter side dosnt move as much but the rocker side does so check that wear as well

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
hydraulic lifters dont need any run in, only some assembly lube on the pushrod end to stop startup wear before the oil gets to it which is pretty quick anyway, at minimum dip the pushrod in oil first before u fit so oil is all around/thru it, it shouldnt matter which way they go back in but just look at the pushrod tips and lifter contacts to see if any have abnormal wear, if they all have the same wear then it should be fine, the lifter side dosnt move as much but the rocker side does so check that wear as well
Thanks mate this is greatly appreciated, I'll just pick up a new lifter to replace the dead one tomorrow afternoon and I'll start the re assembly on Sunday

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
im assuming the lifters are roller also in those, i should have said hydraulic roller lifters don't need running in

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
im assuming the lifters are roller also in those, i should have said hydraulic roller lifters don't need running in
Yes hydraulic roller lifters. But that's perfect as that significantly drops My price I'm shelling out for the repair

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yes hydraulic roller lifters. But that's perfect as that significantly drops My price I'm shelling out for the repair
Correct. As per 07gts said, roller lifters aren't fussy about staying in a matched bore. It would be nice, but not a major if not.

Make sure everything is slippery where it touches anything else, so first start does cause metal on metal wear.

You'll be right. Get into it!