Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter noise or something worse?

ChuckDuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV - VR CALAIS
Been trying to get this figured out for ages now. Tried lifter free, thicker oil and neither have worked. Any help/Advice is appreciated. The noise comes and goes, doesnt matter if its hot or cold.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
That is bad mate I’d be doing something about it sooner rather than later, could be a lifter or a bent pushrod or a loose rocker bolt either way it needs to be checked out

ChuckDuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV - VR CALAIS
That is bad mate I’d be doing something about it sooner rather than later, could be a lifter or a bent pushrod or a loose rocker bolt either way it needs to be checked out
Just went to a mechanic he notice it had only 1 bar of oil pressure, he gave it a bit of a rev got it up to 4 bars of pressure and the noise instantly went away.... took his foot off, pressure dropped noise came back so he is saying oil pump... You ever had to replace one of them?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Just went to a mechanic he notice it had only 1 bar of oil pressure, he gave it a bit of a rev got it up to 4 bars of pressure and the noise instantly went away.... took his foot off, pressure dropped noise came back so he is saying oil pump... You ever had to replace one of them?
No not personally. If you have been persisting with it for a wile like 1000km + your engine could need a look at. Oil cools and lubricates also. Yes it is $$$$+ depending...

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Depending on what they find once they get it apart as the guy above said driving with low oil pressure is bad and can do damage it’s a fair bit of work to change out the oil pump so could be a bit costly I’d get a couple of quotes mate and don’t keep driving the car like that either

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
Often it's the "O" ring locating the oil pickup pipe in the pump. This was a known issue in early L98 engines. GM even issued a technical bulletin about it. Still worthwhile replacing the pump even if it's the faulty "O" ring. The labour cost would be the same.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
I have a very similar issue with my VE SS L98 2008. Done almost 200,000km and I have hot idle oil pressure issues. When its Cold at idle and driving, it is fine. When Hot Idling, I had it fluctuating between 1 & 0 Bars of Oil pressure and after 30seconds of idling, one of my lifters starts tapping. If you rev it up, it goes away. I have no problems at all when driving - It goes up from the 1Bar to 4-5 Bars. Only on idle.

I changed oil from 5W30 to 5w40 and it was a little better where it stays on 1bar all the time at idle and sometimes started tapping but not as often as when on the 5W30. There have been a lot of people who have changed their oil pumps, to find the exact same problem happening again after a short time.

I beleive it is the Bearing tollerances have got a bit larger and causing pressure drops. (ie like a Garden Tap/Hose - If you start putting holes in the hose, it drops pressure along the hose length) So I put in a small amount of that Lucas Thick oil stuff (Not really a fan of this stuff) But though I would try it and dump it if it didnt make any difference or anything strange. It made a bit of difference again with hot oil pressure. Now I don't get any Tapping at idle.
Im tempted to go 5W50 or 10W50 on the next change.

My thing is that if you replace the oil pump, it may not rectify the actual problem. A bit like the Garden Tap/Hose - The Pressure at the Tap isnt the problem, its the holes in the hose. Replacing the tap will end with the same pressure result.

Thoughts on this.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I have a very similar issue with my VE SS L98 2008. Done almost 200,000km and I have hot idle oil pressure issues. When its Cold at idle and driving, it is fine. When Hot Idling, I had it fluctuating between 1 & 0 Bars of Oil pressure and after 30seconds of idling, one of my lifters starts tapping. If you rev it up, it goes away. I have no problems at all when driving - It goes up from the 1Bar to 4-5 Bars. Only on idle.

I changed oil from 5W30 to 5w40 and it was a little better where it stays on 1bar all the time at idle and sometimes started tapping but not as often as when on the 5W30. There have been a lot of people who have changed their oil pumps, to find the exact same problem happening again after a short time.

I beleive it is the Bearing tollerances have got a bit larger and causing pressure drops. (ie like a Garden Tap/Hose - If you start putting holes in the hose, it drops pressure along the hose length) So I put in a small amount of that Lucas Thick oil stuff (Not really a fan of this stuff) But though I would try it and dump it if it didnt make any difference or anything strange. It made a bit of difference again with hot oil pressure. Now I don't get any Tapping at idle.
Im tempted to go 5W50 or 10W50 on the next change.

My thing is that if you replace the oil pump, it may not rectify the actual problem. A bit like the Garden Tap/Hose - The Pressure at the Tap isnt the problem, its the holes in the hose. Replacing the tap will end with the same pressure result.

Thoughts on this.
To be honest l can only speculate. To my understanding Two types of mechanical oil pumps are available being Flo or Pressure. Your oil pickup can prevent oil Pressure also Flo to be optimal. Can cause a similar scenario. When you add **** that claims to reseal for example it adds a spanner to the issue. Your oil needs to be as clean and lubricating as phisicly possible or you will create issues that reduce oil pressure and premature wear. You would be better to suit the oil to your needs and change regularly with quality oil. Changing the pump may be necessary even though it does not rectify the issue due to other factors as a result. Your engine relies on the oil pump. Don't clog the engine and create your issues.