Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

light as a feather, handling crap

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
i just got back from driving to albany (5 hours) and i was kinda frustrated by how light the car feels (i beleive this is a common prob with vs) its like every peice of air movement out side the car effects how it travels. shaking. moving all over the road. just crap to drive. at speeds of like 70 ish and higher. and it was like this with like an extra 200kg of stuff in the back. though not as bad. but i dont see adding wieght as a solution to this problem. will lowering the car make the ride better, or is there simply no way to make this better

cheers, vlacs

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
What the!?!?! I've been a VS owner since 98 and this is my second one. I can't say I've ever had this sort of problem. I've noticed that you get moved around a bit on a highway on a very windy day but no more than any other vehicle, and at 1400kg it's not an overly light car. You sure it's not a wheel alignment or balance problem? It's possible that your tyres may be over inflated causing you to bounce around the road. Someone else may know some possible causes....

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah i must say i've never had it feel like that.... well not until i reached speeds you shouldn't be doing anyway.

at 70 my car feels rock solid on the road... and thats with stock suspension

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
You may need new shocks and a wheel balance.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Could be your shocks are stuffed. Also get your wheel alignment checked, if it is toeing out that will make your car move all over the place. Try checking your tyre pressures as well. Check the panhard rod bushes if it has a beam axle, when these wear it will let your diff move from side to side which makes your car hard to control.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Yeah, I agree that it's not a weight mass issue. My Vr at 1360kg will only move around a little on the highway on a very windy day as well. The Gemini that I had use to move around more in the same condition, but they are a lot lighter than a VR. So I would be look'n were the other guys suggested.

dyn4mic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Sileighty
lowering your car will only make handling worse, coilovers is one solution to, because holdens distribute the weight on the car totaly unevenly it rocks like a boat on cornering etc.
its nothing to do with weight if you car shakes around 80+kmph it means ur gearbox is on its way out, as i have had this issue,

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
probly because vr/s sit like a 4 x 4, i had this problem in my vr, after i got it lowered it was much better

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
as the rest of the guys said that is strange i used to travel from perth to albany all the time when my dad lived down there and ive taken my vn (which i actually bought from albany) many times ive taken my vs sedan and my vt (also purchased from albany) went back and forth a few times the only thing i noticed was the cars actually ran better after the long run it sounds like theres a problem with your shocks/wheel aligment as a few other members said thats one thing a lot of people let go

Alan Shore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 ED XR6 Manual
VR/S sit ludicrously high...but it does sound like your shockers need a look at. My VR felt a lil bit light at times...but after I lowered just the rear with superlows...then it improved by like 200% seriously. Gave the car a whole new and better feel to it...