Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Light Sensitive auto lights - adjusting sensitivity

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Sorry. I just re-read my post and its a bit mis-leading.

I want the lights to come on sooner (before its dark).

I played with dash settings and there nothing there for sensitivity.

Have you tried giving the sensor a quick clean? Maybe it has crap on it which is causing it to take in less light.

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Have you tried giving the sensor a quick clean? Maybe it has crap on it which is causing it to take in less light.

Where is the sensor?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Yeah, it shouldn't be like that though. IMO any fancy automatic system should be able to be manually overridden. As in you put it on manual and it stays there, instead of defaulting back to the auto position every time you start the car. Just my 2c...
That's why mine are in the Parker position when I shut the car down, once started, I flick them to on and then back to parker position when I'm about to shut the car down. I was involved in numerous car accidents when I was younger where people claimed they didn't see my car (company car was silver), so now I drive with headlights on at all times so I can be seen.
I'm pretty sure its the marble looking-thing in the center of the dash near the windscreen?
Correct

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yea the 'VE doesn't have adjustment my VY berlina did though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Well after reading the above posts, I think the one with any direction to your problem is Voodoo V6 who suggests reducing the initial light entry to the sensor by placing some window tint over it. This would reduce the light further in a darker situation, triggering the head lights earlier.
What you experts think?

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
you thought of seeing if holden can use there Tech 2 system. as this is for accessing the computer and adjust settings there might be a internal setting on the system to adjust it to go on sooner or u can do what my friend did. have noticed the light sensor on some european cars comes on fast seen heaps when on eastlink here in melbourne when going under overpass most are on the dash . maybe make some enquires on maybe going to a wreckers and pick up a sensor. and change the one on the VE shouldnt be hard to change. and one other way is maybe pop to jaycar or dick smith and pick up a light sensor you can adjust and fit it in place of the one u have now. most electronic stores have them or can get them. jaycar is better for those type of items and you might get your problem fixed.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Just checked on my Statesman and it doesn't have an option to change it. Maybe it was my old VZ I was thinking of..?

VY and VZ all have the option of sooner, normal and later. I'm surprised the VE doesn't also have this.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Well after reading the above posts, I think the one with any direction to your problem is Voodoo V6 who suggests reducing the initial light entry to the sensor by placing some window tint over it. This would reduce the light further in a darker situation, triggering the head lights earlier.
What you experts think?

You misunderstood the OP's initial post, he wants the lights to turn on sooner than later.

VY and VZ all have the option of sooner, normal and later. I'm surprised the VE doesn't also have this.

I'm surprised the VE is so popular with the amount of problems it has.

Last edited:

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Well Pickled, thats what I said, ".This would reduce the light further in a darker situation, triggering the head lights earlier."

By artifically reducing the light to the sensor, this would bring the trigger closer to the thresh hold of turning on when the natural light is reduced, which, to my understanding, is what is wanted.
Sure beats paying for a TECH 2 to be used at some dealership. Easy enough to experiment with using something opaque and place over the sensor to reduce the light.

"I'm surprised the VE is so popular with the amount of problems it has".........thats what I often think about them all!, makes me miss my old HQ even more.