Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Light Sensitive auto lights - adjusting sensitivity

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Well after reading the above posts, I think the one with any direction to your problem is Voodoo V6 who suggests reducing the initial light entry to the sensor by placing some window tint over it. This would reduce the light further in a darker situation, triggering the head lights earlier.
What you experts think?
Thanks Gents. I know this was an obvious way of mechanically changing the outcome but I was fishing to see if there was an electronic way...
Anyways, my missus has a glass bowl full of these light blue balls (not mine:rofl2:) which are about 12mm in diameter. The balls are actually hollow and made of soft plastic. I stole one and sliced it in half. This fit over the VE light sensor like a glove.
It works, lights now turn on when a cloud covers the sun. I need to find balls with less tint which to the eye will almost be clear:blah blah:

As for the comment about VE's being popular with their issues;

I personally don't think their any worse than the others. The more crap you put into them the more problems you will produce. I work in the aircraft industry and its the same (although aircraft have redundancy built in case of failure).

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I have just had my 30,000km service done at the local stealer and have not had to report one issue, he asked me about the IQ system and it's not paired with my phone a handful of times and twice it's lost it's display, which the next restart of the car fixed, that's the worst of my issues.

No other car brand new has even made it to the first "free" service without having to take the car back, sometimes on a flatbed.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I guess they picked up their game and perfected it with the series 2 then.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Maybe, but it still amazes me that you can put 1000's of components together with nuts and bolts and tape and silicon and wire and you get so few issues. I have rebuilt many parts of cars and often spring a leak or something doesn't quite work. For the mass produced cars these days, they are pretty good really. I know there are cars out there with issues (SII Commodores) but I am guessing, so far I have a good one

Tonyla1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series ii SV6
Twelve months down the track, not a single issue with my 2011 SV6, whilst my mates $70k BMW of the same age has been back to the dealer 3 times this year.