Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Limited Slip Differential

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi All

A couple of months ago I was going around a roundabout in the wet, and lost the back end before exiting. Rear tyres are fine (Bridgestone RE92's), pressures were to spec and I was doing less than 5km/h. I thought maybe a LSD might have been handy - or am I confusing that with Traction Control? Can my VZ Exec Wagon be fitted with LSD?

Interested in suggestions,
Blake

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can definitely be fitted with LSD, however that possibly won't fix your issue which I dear say may have something to do with driving style.

An LSD will maintain traction longer than a standard open diff, however when they do break traction they will step out sideways a lot quicker.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I was going around a roundabout in the wet, and lost the back end before exiting.........and I was doing less than 5km/h......
That's around walking speed. :confused:
Or is that a typo?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You soon learn you gotta drive like a nanna in the wet if you drive a ute with a limited slip diff.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi All

A couple of months ago I was going around a roundabout in the wet, and lost the back end before exiting. Rear tyres are fine (Bridgestone RE92's)
Blake

Your tyres are the problem. And an lsd will only make it worse unless your goal is to minimise wheel spin when driving straight ahead.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Not a driving style issue - I'm not into fish tailing / hooning or whatever. I'm basically a nanna driver full time 24/7.
NutKracker - not a typo, basically walking speed, hence my concern. Someone suggested to me that the roundabout in question is a well-known trouble spot on wet days. I pretty much roll through it now if it's raining. EYY I was wondering about the tyres too.

Thanks all for suggestions.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Do a quick google of the reviews for those tyres, they all say the same thing regarding wet performance. I used to have a full set of them on my statesman, now I only have the fronts since I got some yokohama's for the rear and I'm a lot happier.

After about 6 months they got really noisy, squealed around every corner after I put the lsd in (normal driving, not accelerating hard around corners and round abouts etc.) They were making me look bad lol

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
get the rear end looked over and replace any loose/worn bushes, leaky shocks and get it all aligned to spec.

a busted bush will let slip at the most inconvenient moments and do exactly what you describe.

Fair enough - had a 4 wheel alignment recently so it should have been picked up then I would have thought. Thanks for the suggestion.