Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Load Rated Tyres for Holden Commodore UTE VE Omega II

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
The law states the same Load Index or greater.
Don't know if SS ute has lower Load Index on the tyre plackard or not.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When I spoke to VIC Roads, they said the alloy rims do not need to be load rated because the tyres would fail before the rims would. That's why you often find that the load rating on rims are lighter than the tyres. As long as the rims conform to Aus Standards.

The difference between 100 & 102 load rating is 50kg (25kg per point).

So If I put 100 load rated tyres on would the vehicle be un-roadworthy?

Vic roads are full of it....A rim that is under load rated for the vehicle will fail before the tyre.....Think about it....You have a rim that is load rated for 500KG and you place 650kg of weight on it, how is the tyre going to fail first?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
When I spoke to VIC Roads, they said the alloy rims do not need to be load rated because the tyres would fail before the rims would. That's why you often find that the load rating on rims are lighter than the tyres.

If you want to run the risk of your wheels cracking which is extremely common go for it. All you need is one mechanic to fail your RWC tho

So If I put 100 load rated tyres on would the vehicle be un-roadworthy?

Correct, defectable and police will check this as well.

The law states the same Load Index or greater.
Don't know if SS ute has lower Load Index on the tyre plackard or not.

I have heard the SS has a lower load rating then the Omega. There was a thread here earlier saying SS wheels on a Omega are illegal for that reason but I do not know what state the thread owner was from.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll also add, with rim load ratings....Part of a rim conforming to Australian Standards is, the rim must conform to the maximum load rating of the vehicle they are designing the rim for....Not that long ago, there was a big uproar with imported rims not conforming to Australian standards....The reason they didn't conform is, because they were breaking under the strain of the weight of the car they were being fitted too....

So it goes to show how stupid Vic Roads really is

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Had a look at my tyre placard and it is load rated for 95 (245/35/20). I got mine with the walkinshaw pack when new. I guess they were not expecting it to be used as a tradie ute as with 95 weight load it would be risky putting 300kg if stuff in the tray