Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Location and replacement of TCM on a 2008 VE OMEGA

sophieliddell4

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE OMEGA
Hi all,
I have a 2008 VE OMEGA Sports Wagon that doesn't shift into third. It drives fine in first and second gear but when it shifts up (around 60kms/hr) to third it just revs and there is no power, so I manually have to put it back down into second to get it going again.
I've taken it to a mechanic that said it could have been the ECM but after taking it to a second mechanic who was more trusted and did a more thorough look at it he has said that the TCM isn't being picked up by the main computer. He was going to get an auto electrician to come and have a look at it but he’s not available for another few weeks. At this point I'm just wanting to have a go about doing it myself, but I have a few concerns.
Firstly, I wouldn't know where to look for the TCM, I've read so many posts all with conflicting information regarding location some saying its in the transmission, some saying it's under the hinge pillar trim (don't know what that is either) etc... If someone could let me know where it is located that would at least be a great start.
Secondly, if I were to locate it, remove and replace it does it then need to be programed to the main computer or anything afterwards or is there a reset or something that I can perform myself?
I'm all good when it comes to replacing general parts, but the electronic side of things is a bit daunting for me.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What auto trans is in your car - 4L60E, 4L65E or 4L70E ? Sounds like it could be a shift solenoid problem if you have a 4L60E (easy fix in the pan).

TFN69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
befire 2008 the Service Manual says its in the Drivers Side footwell. Extract from the book is attached.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
befire 2008 the Service Manual says its in the Drivers Side footwell. Extract from the book is attached.
You said the BCM is in that location in the other thread.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
TCM location varies depending on which gear box you have.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
2008 V6 should be 5L40E

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
gJIxv-jh4edmxf66zazn5geqct3npl.jpeg

The TCM for the 5L40e is behind the kick panel next to the accelerator pedal.

YWWyO-ftuukflx6wybdm7o5ydg34qe.jpeg

Undo the harness plugs.
Undo the earth bolted to the chassis.
There's two tabs each side that you release to pull it free from the chassis.

*You will of course have the battery negative disconnected and secured away from the battery terminal post before you get this far.

BigMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore S1 3.6 v6 Auto
Sorry for hijacking your post but whereabouts is the TCM on a 2008 VE Commodore Omega with a 4l60e transmission on a 3.6 alloytech