Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

locked diff

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Most people don't see the need on a street car, which is fine. But for me to be able to do what i do, i need a car that is 100% predictable. An LSD just doesn't offer that. After the 2nd loop the diff will then be slipping. In my case, i havn't found any other negatives, no excess tyre wear, no breaking things etc

Tell me of multiple people owning an LSD worth 1500 (not 2000 for a Kaaz or more for a 9 inch) that have gotten over 4 years life out of their diff. You can't, because it would have had to be reshimmed about 6 times in that timeframe.

my diff guy says to do left handed o's, says his diff will hold fine and it will turn tighter circles then going right hand. but thats his opinion, i guess time will tell. not that i do many o's anyways. just tend to throw it sideways when driving a lot

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
for the 90 bux to your door that a spool costs.. it would be silly to risk a broken weld jamming between your crown and pinion on the street :)

imagine how silly you'd feel with the rears locking up @ 100km/h because a bit of weld broke and jammed up the gears .... because you didn't want to spend 90 bux!

I totally agree with the sentiment - spend the $100.

I did find out a few years back that wheels don't lock up at 100 km though. The diff wasn't welded but a piece of spider gear broke off and found it's way between the crown and pinion which forced the two apart and broke the cast iron nose of the diff (It was a banjo). The cast iron was over an inch thick in places and made the biggest bang I have ever heard in a car and then no drive.

Reaper

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Horses for courses STEALTHY! dont do ringys with an LSD and it will last ages. They weren't originally designed for a race/ performance (i.e track and burnouts etc) so of course they will wear if punished harshly. If you know how to build an LSD then it doesnt cost heaps to freshen it up. $150 every couple of years isnt a huge issue to me.

I wouldnt suggest welding a diff centre to obtain 'lock' effect. its a tight arse job, and if you are going to lock the diff you might as well do it properly and spool it.

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
if you must really weld it heres a pic someone posted not long ago how to put a peice of steel in there first to make it nice and strong then turn the arc up high and weld away the more heat you can generate the better even put it in the oven for a while too heat it first works heaps better but if not strike an ark and keep going melt the sucker good make sure you leave enough room for it to turn past the pinion gear

Attachments

• diff_3.JPG
    diff_3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 8,080

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Horses for courses STEALTHY! dont do ringys with an LSD and it will last ages. They weren't originally designed for a race/ performance (i.e track and burnouts etc) so of course they will wear if punished harshly. If you know how to build an LSD then it doesnt cost heaps to freshen it up. $150 every couple of years isnt a huge issue to me.

I wouldnt suggest welding a diff centre to obtain 'lock' effect. its a tight arse job, and if you are going to lock the diff you might as well do it properly and spool it.

oh i agree. I wouldn't bother welding a diff in anything but a car worth $20. But if the poster is asking about a welded diff/spool, its quite clear he'll be partacing in a few loops, so an LSd is out of the question.

I have a full spool in a VY diff in my car. Best decision i ever made getting a spool.

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
does spooling ruin your tyres?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
does spooling ruin your tyres?

No. But the guarantee that you'll get 2 wheels every time will have you doing alot more burnouts. In a roundabout way you could say it does, but if you don't do a single burnout, you'll never know

PorterVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Manual V6
i had a welded diff in my manual vr v6 and it never broke drove around for 3 months with it in, thrashed the hell out of it then decided to take it out as it was ripping up the front yard and gave it to a mate and it lasted nearly 6 months in his, but that had nearly 63 welding sticks in it hahah good times good times

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
I have welded plenty with a mig for speedway & never had one break. The trick is to disassemble the diff & cut the side gears into a square before welding them into the housing. Make sure the gears are aligned to bolt back together with the pinion gears before you weld them though.