Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

locked diff

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
Awesome fun, and 100% predictable.

yeh i think my caprice is the only car i havnt had a spool in.. i love em, but with the wh being so heavy and irs being weak i wont bother

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
I got a spool with 3.45s in the clubby daily driver,great to drive,a little twitchier in the wet,and can be annoying in carparks etc,but heaps more predictable than the LSD....

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I never noticed anything different in the wet. Sideways as a mother ****er if i choose, sedate as my nana driving her getz at the other end of the scale!

Pimpt6

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH LS1 STATEO VR V6 STATEO & VR V6 BT1
Yeah I put a mini spool and some 3.9 gears in and have never looked back . . Gotta love that spooled feeling . . Why weld it when mini spools are on $80 off ebay

PREDATR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355 Turbo, VN Calais 5L, VE SII SV6 Wag, Mirage
Yep spool is def the go. welding is for tightarse $90 for a spool and endless hours of fun. and as stelthy said its 100% predictable every time much safer than LSD.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I am planning on welding shut the diff on my VR V6, purely because I dont want to have to pull my diff completely to pieces. And I am a tightarse.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I am planning on welding shut the diff on my VR V6, purely because I dont want to have to pull my diff completely to pieces. And I am a tightarse.

ROFL. This post is gold! Don't do this at home kiddies. Welded diff on the street is a nono!

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
Re-reading it, I can see how you you would see it that way. However I am ticketed to NZS 4711 structural steel in MMAW, GMAW and FCAW, in the downhand and vertical positions - So I am pretty sure my welds are up to scratch.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats fine. 2 things tho. You can never 'go back' after you've welded it. A spool has that luxury.

Mess up ANY of the weld, even just a little bit, and it will lock up the gears, not a very fun thing while driving!

I had one in my old VL, and never had a problem, but i saw so many people have ****ed welds, or welds that snap. For $100 (not much more than stainless welding rods) you can have a spool!

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, I have taken the 'irreversable' thing into account. Since my car is in about the worst condition a car can be in (paint flaking off, cracked windscreen, trans making a strange rattle) Im not too worried about being able to reverse it.

Also, if you are familiar with the 4711 welding standard, you will that its about the hardest test a welder can do (aside from perhaps, ASME 9). It comprises first of a fillet bend over test to ensure you are able to get penetration, then a 300mm long butt weld with 12mm steel. First this gets a visual inspection for defects such as undercutting, excessive spatter, arc-strike and the correct weld shape. Then 3 samples are taken for mechanical testing. Two of these are nick-breaks, where the weld is cut 2mm deep on all sides, then broken open and visually inspected for porousity, wormholes and lack of fusion. The third is a bend test, where the weld is ground smooth and then bent back over on itsself to check for any cracks or splitting. Then a 150mm long section of the welded plate is x-rayed, to check for hidden weld defects (wormholes and porousity, again).

Having passed this test several times, in different positions and welding processes, Im pretty confident that I will not mess up any of the weld.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to show that Im not just some dumb kid playing around in his garage with daddys welder.