Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Long distance drive planned - what maintenance to do?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nothing wrong with MACE products, they do work on the V6 engines.

Seems we have a petty hate brigade going on........

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
most important maintenance on long drives is the human.
get enough sleep
eat healthy
pull over when tired
etc etc

Last edited:

shamma020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I've only had the car for 6 months so I don't know what was done before that. I'll change fluids and filters like I said, I'm not looking into doing any mods, just want to know general advance maintenance.

I don't think I'm overthinking it, I'm just being careful. It's running really well at the moment but also isn't doing 1000km a day in 40deg heat.

What do I look for if the coolant needs a flush? Or o2 sensor need changing?

Already have basics like bulbs, blades, serp belt, fuel.

Cheers!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
1000km a day so you have backup drivers yes?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If you maintain your car it should be fine.
Also carry spare water, food, mobile and have a good towing road side assist package.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
O2 sensors if it's using a lot of fuel. If the fuel economy is within the expected norm than I wouldn't necessarily bother with it.

Coolant system, do you know the vehicle service history? IF not you have a couple of options have it tested, just change it or leave it alone.

Been a V6 engine there are a number of issues that depending on service history and mileage I would be looking at.

V6 engines have a issue with intake gaskets. IF it's a high mileage engine and the coolant needs doing I would consider doing the intake gaskets and water pump at the same time as doing the coolant. I would also fit a new thermostat and radiator cap at the same time as doing the coolant and as others have mentioned, possibly the radiator hoses as well. But on the other hand, why disturb something that is running well..............

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
1,000 km a day on that road..piece of cake......unless you are taking diversions into Adelaide and Melbourne.
Things to have.....RAC (or similar) membership, sonic animal repellers, (about $5), good tyres, a feed of KFC and plenty of Coke, (to ensure that you have reasons to wind the windows down for some fresh air).
Fuel economy...should be less than 10L /100km, so you shouldn't need to carry extra fuel.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey all,

In December I'm driving from Perth to Sydney, I'm just wondering what preventative maintenance is suggested to do before a long drive in potentially hot days! My mechanic said maybe a coolant flush, o2 sensors..

I'd like to do as much as I can myself to save the coin, I don't know a lot but can pick it up pretty easily with a good how-to. I'd also like to improve fuel economy as much as I can now because the car will be fully laden (wagon with all our stuff). So will change air filter, fuel filter, run some injector cleaner and probably clean the maf sensor/throttle body. Is it worth a coolant flush and changing o2 sensors? Any other advice?

Cheers guys! Looking forward to getting under the car and making her purr.

Shamma

If the car is otherwise reliable and regularly maintained car I'd just check fluid levels are ok. I'm not sure why a trip to Sydney would require O2 sensors. Just fkn drive it.

Don't over think it, if the car is reliable now then there isn't a need to suddenly go changing a whole lot of stuff.

A good service wouldn't hurt and neither will a coolant flush but get all these things done well before hand so that if something does occur after the work it will happen before you get into the journey.

^^^ That