Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Long distance drive planned - what maintenance to do?

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
Madurah pass fuel is a bigger rip off than a wax job on your knackers as uncle kev would say - its almost always over $2 a litre there for regular crap perfectly situated as a trap for young players.

1 -2 20L jezza cans filled in norseman will see you sail straight past this sh*thole, the fuel stops either side of it are no where near as costly. This is what I always do.

PS, don't speed you will be caught, especially near the SA border and once in SA traffic cops are like vultures looking to supplement the local failing economy with rich WA drivers money ;)

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Madurah pass fuel is a bigger rip off than a wax job on your knackers as uncle kev would say - its almost always over $2 a litre there for regular crap.

1 -2 20L jezza cans filled in norseman will see you sail straight past this sh*thole, the fuel stops either side of it are no where near as costly. This is what I always do.
Having a car on gas comes in handy. The range is pretty much doubled. Can pretty easily get 1300km without stopping at a servo :p

All highway driving of course.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Can't understand what the paranoia about fuel distances and cost on the Nullabor is about, the fuel stops are max 200kms apart.....and if you are going to do the trip, an extra 60c per litre at an isolated place is preferable to carrying 20L, unless it is in a ute, or a trailer.
I don't know how prevalent wildlife is in that area at present , but I don't drive at night, and if you don't, the need for 24hr servo's is negated.
I recently drove Charters Towers to Clermont, and that is more isolated than the Nullarbor, without needing any extra fuel containers,

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Can't understand what the paranoia about fuel distances and cost on the Nullabor is about, the fuel stops are max 200kms apart.....and if you are going to do the trip, an extra 60c per litre at an isolated place is preferable to carrying 20L, unless it is in a ute, or a trailer.
I don't know how prevalent wildlife is in that area at present , but I don't drive at night, and if you don't, the need for 24hr servo's is negated.
I recently drove Charters Towers to Clermont, and that is more isolated than the Nullarbor, without needing any extra fuel containers,

Yet many (me included) far far far prefer driving overnight instead of days. The OP didn't make any mention of day or night driving so I think the warning is pertinent to help him decide. Either way I think its a given you are going to get arse raped on petrol prices in the middle.

plane driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan Alloytec
What happens if something punctures your tank?
I can say I have had my fuel tank punctured exactly zero times.
Likewise.
Seriously people Eyre Highway is really just another road - very little different to any of the other main highways. It is just that services and resources are scarce or very pricey if they are available.

Madurah pass fuel is a bigger rip off than a wax job on your knackers as uncle kev would say - its almost always over $2 a litre there for regular crap perfectly situated as a trap for young players.

Here's the skinny on fuel prices, and my strategy. Fill up in Perth metro then again in Coolgardie. The station on the eastern side of town on the south side of the highway is one of the cheapest if not the cheapest. Then again in Norseman at the Caltex as it is from half to four or five cents a litre cheaper than the BP. You can easily check the prices on Fuelwatch.
Balladonia, Caiguna, Cocklebiddy and Madura are the most expensive.
Mundrabilla and Eucla are usually the same price and much cheaper than any of the previous four and cheaper than the Border Village. Nullarbor is not cheap for fuel (or accommodation) but if you need to then I guess you need to. Nundroo isn't too bad these days, while Penong can sometimes be slightly less than Ceduna, although if you have a Coles Express discount docket you can use it at the Coles Express in Ceduna which will then most likely make it cheapest. After Ceduna the distances between spots is a lot less.

With my current vehicle, VZ executive alloytec V6, I can do Norseman to Mundrabilla or even Eucla without refuelling. I have done Mundrabilla to Coolgardie twice without refuelling but I was only going at about 90 or so - wasn't in a hurry and had plenty of time.
I am very impressed with the touring fuel consumption in that car.

Can't understand what the paranoia about fuel distances and cost on the Nullarbor is about, the fuel stops are max 200kms apart.....and if you are going to do the trip, an extra 60c per litre at an isolated place is preferable to carrying 20L, unless it is in a ute, or a trailer.
As far as the prices go for stuff along the Eyre Hwy you must remember that freight costs and it is a captive market. If you start to think about comparing prices to the large cities then of course you are going to be paranoid. You've just got to factor it in and accept it and get on with the journey.
And likewise I don't travel at night. It is a lot more difficult to see hoppy and his mates and I never have that tight a schedule. Although even in the daytime it can be difficult to see emus if they have a bush or tall piece of scrub behind them until they move and they can go pretty fast when they want to dart out in front of you.

shamma020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Well I dont think I'll get it converted to LPG just for this trip. Thanks heaps for all the fuel info though! But I also don't really see the value in spending $60+ on jerry cans to then save $50 or more on fuel on one fuel-up at Madurah. Say I average 9L/100km, 4000km trip, I calculate that as 360L of fuel. Looks like I'll be paying maybe $600 on fuel which I'm okay with.

Brakes have new fluid, discs and pads, will change oil/filter, air and fuel filter, all my fluids are okay and not losing any, I think I'll be right! I do feel very confident about this car. Oh and we'll be doing daylight hours only, have driven plenty of country driving at dawn/dusk in vehicles with bullbars and have had enough run ins with skippy that I wont be driving in those hours in a commy.

Our overnight stops will be Kalgoorlie, probably try make it to Eucla the next day, Adelaide, then Echuca. Choosing Kal, Adelaide and Echuca as we have friends or a place to stay in these towns.