Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Long Range Fuel Tanks

ssberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE track car, 10 sec VU Ute
guys I am after a long range fuel tank for my VC sle.

I have noticed that HDT sell a 90 litre one. Has anyone installed one of these? :confused:

Is there another one available?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I havent had any experience with the HDT fuel tank Sid is now selling but if its like any of his other stuff it would be good.
What I did for my VK for a long range tank was to use one out of a later model car I got a 90L out of a VQ stateman. Once strap bolted up fine the other strap needed the end changing so it would line up. The filler neck is an unleaded neck which I now have to run in my car but oyu could just cut the neck off your old tank.

The other option is to cut your tank and make it larger, you just need to be able to weld really well else it will leak, generally you lead wipe the weld once you clean it up to fill any small pin holes. I think this is what HDT are doing for their tanks.

cheers
Scott

brocke8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Calais
If you get a Vn 85 litre tank and straps it bolts straight up to a vc, vh, vk.

All you have to do like vkberlina said is use your old filler neck or cut about one inch out of the uleaded neck as its to long and thats it.

And its far cheaper this way as you can pickup a tank and sender unit for around 80 - 100 bucks from a wrecker.

ssberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you know whether I will have to modify the fuel pump etc for the VN tank?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
what fuel pump are you currently running?

The VN runs 2 furl pump a low pressure in the tank and a high pressure outside the tank, you owuld just use the low pressure pump for your car.

ssberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
vkberlina said:
what fuel pump are you currently running?

The VN runs 2 furl pump a low pressure in the tank and a high pressure outside the tank, you owuld just use the low pressure pump for your car.

The car is a Stock blue 253 VC SLE. It is still running the stock mechanical one off memory.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ok I would try an experiment see if your existing pump will suck through the VN pump I know my VK will.
If not you will need to hook up the fuel pump not a really big deal but a couple of things you may want to look into.
Normally on an EFI commodore when the ignition is switched to on after 2-3 seconds of not being started or attempted to be started the fuel pump will be shut off. To do this on your car im not sure as the computer controls it. I would give a a holley dealer a call like American Autos in Sydney (strathfield store) and ask them if you add a holley electric pump to replace the mechanical one will how they do it. If they say you dont worry about it id just hook the low pressure VN pump up.

It would be a a good idea to check your fuel pressure to make sure it is within spec before and after the mechanical pump. Just another thought you may be able to do away with the mechanical pumpw ith the VN tank :)

cheers
Scott