Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at buying VE SV6, what to check?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Hi,

I am looking at buying a 2006 VE SV6 Commodore tomorrow. It has 175,000kms, couple stains in the interior, a scratch on one door and a dent on the side skirt.

Reason why I'm looking to buy it: price is $7800.

The guy has a genuine reason for selling it so cheaply, but I won't divulge that here.

It has a full service history, what else should I be looking for when I inspect it?

Not sure if I would keep it or resell it for a profit, but either way, still a good buy (from what I can tell).

What's the best method of checking for stretched timing chains (if no engine lights show)?

Cheers

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
It will have a timing chain issue at that price. 06 and 07 models have the timing chain issue.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
May not end up being a bargain. 2006, and those ks, its not worth much more, even tidied up.
Have a good look at the oil, and inside the oil filler cap if possible. Engine maybe sus. And, yes, timing chain for sure.

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Yeah I agree with the timing chain issue.
If you get to test drive it, give it a boot few times and it will set off the check engine light again if it's not already showing.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Hi,

I am looking at buying a 2006 VE SV6 Commodore tomorrow. It has 175,000kms, couple stains in the interior, a scratch on one door and a dent on the side skirt.

Reason why I'm looking to buy it: price is $7800.

The guy has a genuine reason for selling it so cheaply, but I won't divulge that here.

It has a full service history, what else should I be looking for when I inspect it?

Not sure if I would keep it or resell it for a profit, but either way, still a good buy (from what I can tell).

What's the best method of checking for stretched timing chains (if no engine lights show)?

Cheers

What do you need to be checking, you ask.
EVERYTHING mate, better off checking out a Toyota

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
It will have a timing chain issue at that price. 06 and 07 models have the timing chain issue.
He told me that it's his daughters car, she got it in a settlement as a result of her broken marriage and she wants to get rid of it. Although it is possible that it's cheap due to problems, it's also possible that there's genuinely nothing wrong with it! :)

May not end up being a bargain. 2006, and those ks, its not worth much more, even tidied up.

In South Australia, yes, it is worth $4-5k more, cars are overpriced here. Worth at least $12k in a private sale once tidied up.

Yeah I agree with the timing chain issue.
If you get to test drive it, give it a boot few times and it will set off the check engine light again if it's not already showing.

I appreciate your advice on how to check for it, cheers!