Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for help on my HQ

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Hey guys, I'm planning a HQ Kingswood/Premier build. I can't find an owners club forum/website so I figure this is the next best place. :) You may remember a year or so ago I made a thread about my dream build. Now that I'm older I'm actually looking at buying one. I have a few lined up.

But I figure I should really plan this build out before I start buying the car. Now I keep reading snippets of law information. I want to go V8 - obviously.

I want this thing to be my daily, and from my understanding EFI is the way to go for that. Now, an issue that arises. If I buy a red engined HQ, according to Vic law am I allowed to swap a V8 in?

Now, here are some of my big questions, or options really. If I go the option of rebuilding an original V8. Is that possible? Most of the cars i'm looking at are 253's. Are parts still available to rebuild these and make 'em reliable and decently powerful (hoping for about 300hp). Are there bolt on manifolds that can convert the original beasts into EFI?

Next option is the most expensive and that's a crate engine, a crate engine small block chev EFI for around 8k. But god that's alot of cash and still need a gearbox. Also now that I've grown older I seem to want to lean towards keeping Aussie in originality, but I mean, I can be persuaded otherwise.

Next option is throwing in an LS1 from a Statesmen or something. Obviously parts are around for those things still. (Throw in any modern Commodore V8 really) so that's an option. And is that legally possible also?

There is one thing that is a like a bit of a must. And that's that I want it to be Auto, with a T Bar chromed gear stick, always wanted that. haha. (I drive a manual now in my commy so don't give me any slack haha)

Cheers guys, just need to know what's possible and what isn't. :)

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I think you can swap in a V8 but you must fit any mandatory options that came with a HQ V8. I would be fitting power steering and front disc brakes (if not fitted). HQ came before emissions standards so you have a lot of flexibility there. If you wanted EFI I'd be going to just get a 90s EFI V8 that comes with a suitable transmission. You could also get the computer etc that goes with that.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Okay cool, so I don't have to worry about emission standards? I really have no idea about any laws governing what I can and can't do. And what do you mean by mandatory options? :) Yeah I was thinking that also, powersteering and discs. :)

The only thoughts I have about a 90's V8 is I don't want to run into reliability issues. Are parts still buyable for repairs? Could one be bought cheap enough then rebuilt to get that reliability? Thanks mate. :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If you put a later model motor in, you will have to comply with the emmissions laws for that motor as far as I know.

And to your question on 90's model V8s. Mine is from 95, has ~238,xxx kms now and still runs great. Plenty of parts available, plenty of 2nd hand motors available around the place. Probably best to pick up a complete car, accident damaged etc for cheap. That way you will get evrything you need, i.e. wiring harness, computer, trans etc.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can still buy most parts for red 253's and 308's so rebuilding one will be doable.

VS 5.0 is bang on, you have to comply with which ever is the later, chassis or engine.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Sounds amazing fella's, and my chrome T shifter situation, will be able to find one of those to fit on? haha.

So parts are available for rebuild on the 253's 'ey? Possible to convert them to EFI as well?

What do you mean by 'follow emission laws' by the way? Not making the car too powerful or something?

And cool. Thanks so much fella's.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you have to comply with which ever is the later, chassis or engine.

If you put a later model motor in, you will have to comply with the emmissions laws for that motor as far as I know.

no, no, no, no, no nononono

where that this urban myth come from?

you need to prove that the newer engine meets or exceeds the emissions that the car came with from factory. ADR27 came out in 1974 which was the first official standard for emissions, so technically the HQ's are emissions free, however your engineer will want you to add a few things to the car to keep it smog friendly. although there are no official rules, there are still tech sheets for the old emissions.

so a safe bet is to assume that to keep your engineer happy will need to install the following:

charcoal cannister (efi's tend to generate a lot of heat due to fuel going to and from the engine and running through a hot fuel pump, so its good to limit the amount of vapours escaping from your fuel cap.)
catalytic converters (thisll just be to keep everyone happy. HQ's ran on leaded fuel so these were never thought of yet, but ULP is carconogenic so its nice to be able to work on the car with the engine running and not die from the fumes)
disc brakes on at least the front and a booster/mc that can cope. to be honest i personally would upgrade the brakes FIRST. stopping is really important.
V8 springs and shocks in the front (my impala dropped 2" just by changing from 327 V8 to 454 V8 and went to an un-rwc height, so 6 to 8 will probably be a similar drop)

most importantly the engineer will inspect your engine mounts and transmission crossmember. so stick with factory option components if you can find them (small block chev or holden v8 which the HQ monaro came out with) or a kit from castlemaine rod shop or somewhere who supply a certificate of compliance. this will make the certificate process smoother.

as far as parts and whatnot go, SBC parts are sooooo much cheaper then 304 holden, due to the amount available in the states. im curious to the 8k efi crate engine youre refering to. only one i know of is the TPI 350 off a mid 80's camaros etc, which IMO are pretty rubbish. youll find itll be cheaper and easier to get a gen 4 small block chev and stick a FAST or Holley 4150 stlye throttle body on it.

having said all that, if you get a HQ with a 308 in it already, for 3k plus install costs you can stick a FAST efi setup on and not need to worry about the engineering at all.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
VSB14 confuses the **** out of me. this is a quote from NCOP12 Section LT Test Procedures V2.

This section outlines a procedure and its minimum requirements for testing gaseous emissions
of motor vehicles that, according to their date of manufacture and Australian Design Rule
(ADR) category, are required to comply with ADR 37/00 or later. It applies to vehicles that are
fitted with modified engines or to vehicles fitted with engines that have not been certified to the
ADR applicable to the modified or individually constructed vehicle.

here where it gets weird. ADR37 didnt kick in till 1986....

so if im reading that right, any car prior to 1986... doesnt require certification on engine changes.?..!..? ill need to speak to my engineer about that.

anyway, go back to may last point "buy a HQ with a V8 already in it and you wont need to bother with certification"

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Since hqs ran from 71 to 74, and the emissions regs were in 1974, the later model cars were equipped with extra equipment for this.
Different manifolds or something. So I think it would be better to get a 71-73 model.