Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's house build 5 years in the making

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So almost five years ago I bought a block of land in Mathinna Tas and decided I would relocate from SA after a separation and to start over. I started with nothing but an old caravan a Jeep $7k block of land and a dream. The block was pretty scappy when I bought it but within a few weeks I had to this stage. I had a 50m high Macrocarpa Pine cut down which got used as firewood, in a very large fire...
house1.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Then from there I built myself a pizza oven and not long after I built a 7.5 x 7.5 shed complete with a pit.
pizza oven.jpg
shed.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Three years ago I started building my house with the help of a friend who is a builder.
house2.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
house3.jpg
house4.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Few more pics of what was achieved in the first 12 months of starting the house. It's a slow process as I am an owner builder.
house5.jpg
house6.jpg
house7.jpg

I also had no money as once the shed was built I had exhausted all my funds. But around the same time I started the house I was able to get a $24k personal loan as I was knocked back on a mortgage because no bank would use my land as security because it was considered too hard to sell. Just over three years ago and not long before I started the house I cooked the engine in my Jeep. I removed the head and noticed rubs on the pistons so decided it was time to part out the Jeep. Over the next few months I sold $4k worth of upgrades that were highly sort after. I thought at that point with my $28k I am going to start building the house that I only really dreamed about but never really thought it would happen....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
See when I had the house designed I opted for a whole heap of extra costly things in the plans because I lodged the shed plans not realising that building a house could ever be an option. I went with a $7k solar hot water and 9' ceilings instead of the more common 2.4m ones. I also had a big deck and veranda incorporated into the plans. This was long before I even had been able to get any finance. I thought why not just go for everything I want in a house and not worry about the cost.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Home....not house.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I had another good mate from the Jeep scene who came down and tiled my bathroom, laundry and mudroom.
I'm fortunate too that I am getting help from some very generous friends. My bathroom is a professional job but with no where near the price tag.
icon_biggrin.gif
Things with my build is all along I decided to never compromise. If I want something in my house I have gotten it. If it takes me four more years to completely do my house, I will never regret going the extra mile to have something that is of quality. Even down to my furnishings I won't go cheap because over the years I have noticed cheap usually means bodgy and early replacement, rather than just spend a bit more in the beginning and get something that lasts. Instead of buying cheap gear I prefer to restore and where appropriate repurpose. I did this with an old dresser I turned into a vanity.
vanity1.jpg
vanity3.jpg
vanity4.jpg

Attachments

• vanity2.jpg
    vanity2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 273

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Actually I told a fib. Some things I have gone cheap but these were second hand items. Good quality but less than half the price of new on things I was able get second hand. Off Gumtree I bought all my windows including a sliding door for $1150. Which new would have been around $5k. I also went second hand on the bedroom doors but in the end they cost me the same as a couple of hollow core doors would have from Home Hardware. The issue was the amount of paint it took to get them looking nice.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
house8.jpg
house9.jpg
house10.jpg

Attachments

• house11.jpg
    house11.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 263