Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I dropped in to a garage that is really supposed to know their stuff. Now I'm saying he isn't a great mech, as I have heard he does top notch work. However, he too could not diagnose my issue..... He initially thought balance shaft but when I told him how it would unlikely be that he said the only way to know is to tear it down...... I told him about the Chinese lifters but he wasn't sure, he said it could be, but too hard to say. So I'm back where I started. I offered him 10 bucks but he declined he was just happy to have a listen for me..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just went back to the original mech who fitted the heads and lifters and he said to leave it if it's not getting any worse. I think he feels bad taking my money if the problem is not lifters. I just want it sorted as the noise drives me nuts and I don't feel safe trying it at WOT with potential lifter problems. The bloke said just then that the new lifters should not have galled up like they did, which suggests to me the untrained another reason for suspecting faulty parts.....
I now face the dilemma of leaving it and potentially causing damage, especially with the plan of boost later this year, or I find someone else willing to fit them, or I have a go myself, which is my least favourable option, as I have no clue how to inspect a cam.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
You must be keeping the Tasmanian economy afloat on your own.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just went back to the original mech who fitted the heads and lifters and he said to leave it if it's not getting any worse. I think he feels bad taking my money if the problem is not lifters. I just want it sorted as the noise drives me nuts and I don't feel safe trying it at WOT with potential lifter problems. The bloke said just then that the new lifters should not have galled up like they did, which suggests to me the untrained another reason for suspecting faulty parts.....
I now face the dilemma of leaving it and potentially causing damage, especially with the plan of boost later this year, or I find someone else willing to fit them, or I have a go myself, which is my least favourable option, as I have no clue how to inspect a cam.

The way I check a cam is with a pair of vernier calipers....I measure the top of the lobes and check they are all the same height...I look forsigns of scouring on the lobes and the area where the bearings run...

Unfortunately to inspect it properly, it has to be removed

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

It’s just my opinion, but I think the DIY option is probably the best way.

If you have some alternative transport so you can afford to have the ute off the road for a period, I suspect that you’ll get lots of virtual help and support via this forum.

Having seen your capabilities on the body work, I don’t think that you’d have any trouble changing the lifters - especially if you post a few pictures along the way for others to guide you if there are any questions about what wear is acceptable etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It’s just my opinion, but I think the DIY option is probably the best way.

If you have some alternative transport so you can afford to have the ute off the road for a period, I suspect that you’ll get lots of virtual help and support via this forum.

Having seen your capabilities on the body work, I don’t think that you’d have any trouble changing the lifters - especially if you post a few pictures along the way for others to guide you if there are any questions about what wear is acceptable etc.
I could get the job done in a day and maybe I will do it myself. I replaced the manifold gaskets a few years ago. I just have to find time and set up my new shed with my roller cab. The bloke who listened to it today said I should check oil pressure.

I have a new test kit just not sure how to use it, only had oil pressure tested once in my lifetime and that was on this ute at a garage. I assume you test it running, and not just cranking?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You will need to put a T piece into the oil pressure port on the filter extension housing where the oil pressure switch is located. IIRC it's a 1/4" NPT thread.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will need to put a T piece into the oil pressure port on the filter extension housing where the oil pressure switch is located. IIRC it's a 1/4" NPT thread.
I will have a look at the kit. It has a fair few fittings. Why do you need a T peice?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So you can run the original pressure switch as well as the test kit. The fuel pump runs via the pressure switch.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So you can run the original pressure switch as well as the test kit. The fuel pump runs via the pressure switch.
I can disconnect the pressure switch and the engine will start and keep running. I have done it before when it was full of water and kept coming on.