Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud knocking noise coming from idler pulleys? Possible tear in crankshaft 98 VT V6

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It all depends on how the wreckers got about removing it, if they use a claw type puller they can wreck or weaken it.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
It all depends on how the wreckers got about removing it, if they use a claw type puller they can wreck or weaken it.

Would that be noticeable on the back lip?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Would that be noticeable on the back lip?

I don't really know, I just read somewhere that you shouldn't use the claw type pullers because it puts a strain on the rubber bit, but I suppose you can't believe everything you read. It seemed to make sense though.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I don't really know, I just read somewhere that you shouldn't use the claw type pullers because it puts a strain on the rubber bit, but I suppose you can't believe everything you read. It seemed to make sense though.

This is right, as pulling the balancer off from the outer edge can seperate the bonded rubber that joins the inner and outer metal parts of the balancer. This is why the proper puller tool uses 3 bolts that screw into the slots around the balancers inner metal part and pulls from there instead..

The 3 bolts needed are- 1/4 UNF type , and they need to be around 2 to 3 inches long. Some balancer removal toolkits dont come with the right size bolts for these balancers, so you may have to see a hardware store etc, were you can get the right ones for a couple of dollars.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Also note that behind the balancer are the teeth and crank sensor. Different models have slightly different patterns so make sure you replace it with the same one.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Also keep in mind that if the 3 bolts are screwed into the balancer too far, they can damage the interruptor blades on the rear of the balancer. I always screw them into the balancer slots around 1 cm or so, just enough for them to get a decent "bite" on the threads in the slots..