Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

loud tick under revs(NOT INJECTORS)

VN-88

fiery red vn manual
Reaction score
victoria , lakes entrance, u live there tell me!!
Members Ride
vn v6 s1 manual
hey guys as it says in the title its a loud tick that im getting, wen i rev it it with the bonnet open i can almost 100% say its on the right, looking from the front. and sorta sounds like my head is leaking cuase the the tick is backed up with a puff sorta sound.

now im thinking eaither a spark is leaking but it sounds louder then that and i cant see and sparks jumping at night, the plugs are on tight, i put new plugs in 4 months ago i guess. and new leads same time. im hoping it isnt a tapet hitting, and well idont no what else it could be, any ideas?

by the way wen driving it like this, it sorta sounds like a really old v8 or 6. and i mean really old were they make that strainge noise wen power up. but htis doesi t all the time

SV3800!

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV3800
It sounds like your exhaust manifold (or extractor) gasket bud ;)

str8up

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd VN SS
Its not comming from your cat is it? My mates mates vr makes a ticking noise and it increases when you rev it. He's put it down to a stuffed cat.

VN-88

fiery red vn manual
Reaction score
victoria , lakes entrance, u live there tell me!!
Members Ride
vn v6 s1 manual
sv3800! - yeah i was thinking this was possible, althought it only just began and i didnt touch the manifold, how can i test this, soapy water maybe?

str8up - nah my cat is new so i dont think it could be that.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Definately extractor gasket leaking. Take it off, replace the gasket and put some hi temp extractor sealant on the gasket just to make sure it doesnt happen again. But first before you pull it apart make sure all your extractors bolts are tight, it could be something as simple as a loose extractor bolt.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
VN Calais 5.0 said:
Definately extractor gasket leaking. Take it off, replace the gasket and put some hi temp extractor sealant on the gasket just to make sure it doesnt happen again. But first before you pull it apart make sure all your extractors bolts are tight, it could be something as simple as a loose extractor bolt.

Could also be warped header's, so no amount of of sealant will fix it, 5.0 litres have this problem big time, as soon as you remove header's it's best to replace them with new one's(for standard holden ones).