Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low end torque VS high end

Sam82314

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi all, I’ve been wondering which direction I should go in when starting to mod my vz in terms of high end vs low end torque, which is the more comfortable ride? What’s more fun? Which saves fuel? I’ve done some research but I want to hear from people that have experienced both and why they like one more than the other, cheers.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Low end torque is great for the street, you don't need to rev the engine hard to make power, but, it can be challenging for things like rods and transmissions in some setups

When NA my VX SS with a small cam and a 2800 stalled slush box and 3.91 rear needed to rev real hard to make any power, with a PD added it makes all of the torques pretty much when the stall has flashed up

Fuel economy hasn't really changed alot, around 650km per tank on the Hwy, and around 350km per tank around town but now with a 3.46 rear

I assume you are looking at boost options

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yep. Low end. Day to day will give you a big smile.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Torque wins on the street every day.

I've been driving a boxer flat 6 for the last few weeks that loves to rev instead of a supercharged V6 and I miss the torque of the supercharger every time I drive it.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Torque wins on the street every day.

I've been driving a boxer flat 6 for the last few weeks that loves to rev instead of a supercharged V6 and I miss the torque of the supercharger every time I drive it.
You'll just have to turbo it!
You know you want to do it! ;) :D :cool:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It's says in the OP's profile that they have a VZ SV6, and if that's the car they want to modify, it will be expensive for them and they'll get minimum power gains from bolt ons, though low end torque would be better for the street...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sure but I'm not modifying this car. I'm probably only keeping this for about a year. I'll fix a few things that creep up but that is about it.

I may fix the crappy factory exhaust manifold issue and make it with a full exhaust system (has a cat back stainless X force on it now).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is a side mount kit for these. It should help throughout the rev range. Won't be as good as a PD but will still be decent.