Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lower front control arms VS same as VT?

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
Just had a pre safety certificate check on a VS I have been give. My sister had it from new. Needs a bit of suspension work. Car has done about 160k all in town. I guess the low usage may have contributed to the degeneration of the bushes. Are the front control arms the same as a VS, as I cannot find any VT for sale. Or am I better off just rebushing. I am thinking of replacing the arms, because of the tie rods ends need doing, so I may as well do the control arm ball joint. Also the strut top is crushed. Is this just the rubber washer on the top? Should have clarified with the mechanic, I guess. Thanks in advance. I am learning a lot about Commodores after 30 years in SAABs. The last being the cousin of the Commodore (1997 990s with GM 2.5LV6.) The VT is replacing the 900 after a incident with a bloody big roo! What is the best m anual. I have a loan of a Haynes, which i would have used as dunny paper when I was a kid.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just to clarify you're driving a VT or VS?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They're not the same. The VT control arms are longer then the VS ones, they'll bolt on but the front track will be much wider. Will probably work out well if you want to add negative camber for the track.

Strut top bearing is what is probably crushed.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
They're not the same. The VT control arms are longer then the VS ones, they'll bolt on but the front track will be much wider. Will probably work out well if you want to add negative camber for the track.

Strut top bearing is what is probably crushed.
Thanks. Rang the mechanic and it is the strut top bearing. Can the negative camber be adjusted with a wheel alignment (which will be done after all my knuckles are bloody and the new bits on). Any idea where to find VS arms?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just replace the bushes and balljoints....Or Alternatively, I think Pedders have change over control arms, which have all the new parts installed, so it's a swap in swap out

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ebay have complete arms with new BJ's and Nolethane bushes already installed. Exi though $450 a set if IRC.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Thanks. Rang the mechanic and it is the strut top bearing. Can the negative camber be adjusted with a wheel alignment (which will be done after all my knuckles are bloody and the new bits on). Any idea where to find VS arms?

Doubt there is enough adjustment on the knuckle to dial it out completely. You might need to use longer/VT tie rods as well to make it work.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
Thank you all. Pedders wanted about $900. Was going to may more calls but I guess it is all oriental anyway, so we will see how long they last. Sourced all the parts from Ebay for $450. Now wait for the post in dribs and drabs and set to work when the bits get here.