Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lower my car or buy audio equipment???

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yeh ok its probably like around 40Wrms per channel, so say around 70-80Wrms bridged. well yes it could drive a sub but it sort of like saying could an excel do as burn out? yes it could with cooking oil and 4 guys lifting up the back! thats amp isn't really worth much effort, go for something from the jaycar range, cheap with heaps of grrrunt!!!

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Garfa I hope you don't take this the wrong way because I'm greatful for any help I can get, but are you certain that it will ony give 70-80Wrms bridged.

After reading 12Voltking's post on 'bridging amps' he calculated that a 50watt by 2 channel amp could put out 200watts if bridged. Attached some of his post below. Sorry if I'm wrong but I'm just confused how a 50watt amp can put out 200watts bridged, yet a 70 watt amp cannot??? After using the calculations below and substituting numbers I got 280watts......

""Imagine you have a two-channel amp that puts out 50 watts into each channel when driven into a load of 4 ohms per channel. Since we know P and Z, we can plug these numbers back into our power equation and find V. 50 = (V^2)/4 -> V = sqrt(200). So, we're seeing a voltage of 14.1 volts across each channel.

Now, imagine we bridge this amp, and use it to push just one of those 4 ohms loads. When the amp is bridged, the voltage is doubled. Since we know the voltage (2*14.1 volts), and the impedance (4 ohms), we can calculate power. Remember that P = V*V/Z. That means P = (28.2^2)/4, which is 198.1 watts. It should be clear by now that the new power is approximately 200 watts - quadruple the power of a single, unbridged channel!""

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I when I bought my Calais the stacker was playing up. Had a problem with the laser. So I bought a second hand one off ebay that had been serviced. BIG MISTAKE! It had a problem with the motor and only worked for a week. Plus the stock cassette head unit ate a tape and would not eject it. All I had left was the radio. I bit the bullet and bought a Pioneer DEH-P4850 for only $245, and the sound quality is so much better than the Eurovox. You also have a lot of special functions in the head unit if you have a sub. I had a Pioneer in my last car and could never fault it.

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Hey all!
Just saw this headunit on ebay.
NEW 2006 JVC KD-DV6205 DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/WMA PLAYER
It's going for $389.00.
I was looking at buying PIONEER DEH-P6850MP player for $375, but I then noticed that JVC was only $14more and thought it might be a damn good buy.

Has anyone had any problems with JVC before?
Also is it worth buying it, if I won't be buying the screen for a few months???

Can't wait to get a new h/u:w00t:

Attachments

• JVC.jpg
    JVC.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
I threw a JVC KDG-615 into my car almost a year ago now (with a 12 disk MP3/CD changer in the boot) and the only problem it's had has been with crappy wiring that the previous owner left hidden in the dash. It's a damn nice unit.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ruso said:
Garfa I hope you don't take this the wrong way because I'm greatful for any help I can get, but are you certain that it will ony give 70-80Wrms bridged.

After reading 12Voltking's post on 'bridging amps' he calculated that a 50watt by 2 channel amp could put out 200watts if bridged. Attached some of his post below. Sorry if I'm wrong but I'm just confused how a 50watt amp can put out 200watts bridged, yet a 70 watt amp cannot??? After using the calculations below and substituting numbers I got 280watts......

""Imagine you have a two-channel amp that puts out 50 watts into each channel when driven into a load of 4 ohms per channel. Since we know P and Z, we can plug these numbers back into our power equation and find V. 50 = (V^2)/4 -> V = sqrt(200). So, we're seeing a voltage of 14.1 volts across each channel.

Now, imagine we bridge this amp, and use it to push just one of those 4 ohms loads. When the amp is bridged, the voltage is doubled. Since we know the voltage (2*14.1 volts), and the impedance (4 ohms), we can calculate power. Remember that P = V*V/Z. That means P = (28.2^2)/4, which is 198.1 watts. It should be clear by now that the new power is approximately 200 watts - quadruple the power of a single, unbridged channel!""
well look at it this way:
the amp is 200Wmax and has a 15A fuse.
so lets now say at full power it would be drawing 12Amps (not likely but...) and the voltage at the amp is 14V. p=vi so power=12x14 so 168Wrms, not the amp is arount 50-55%efficent. i would be saying more like 50% but... half of 168=is 84Wrms if the amp is 50% efficent and if its 55% then its more like 92Wrms total power.
now if the voltage at the amp is 13.8V then the power is a bit less (-5wrms)
so yep i stand by what i said that the amp is around 85-90Wrms bridged and 45-50Wrms per channel.
thats why you need to be careful about amps sometimes, if it only has a 15 amp fuse and quotes 200W then something is a bit wrong.
btw i dodnt take anyoffence about you saying i might be wrong because i know you are still getting a good grasp of car audio ;) .
hell 12volt helped me a heap!

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
cheers garfa

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
I was hoping I could get some advice or feed back on which if the following headunits I should purchase:

1. New 2006 JVC KD-DV6205 DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/WMA PLAYER
SILVER and BLACK IN COLOR! $389 + $45delivery

2. NEW 2006 PIONEER DEH-P6850MP CD/WMA/MP3 PLAYER $375 + $40delivery

I will be purchasing one of the 2 on ebay within the week from this seller; Tessitura-Entertainment - cannot wait. But I can't decide weather to go with the Pioneer h/u, or JVC because it also plays DVD's. I know it sounds stupid asking which to buy when the JVC one does play DVD as well, but I have no plan of buying a screen now because of my budget. Just want a decent h/u to run my stock speakers in my 02 vx acclaim, and if the pioneer h/u will do this more efficiently or has more benefits apart from the fact that JVC plays DVDs; then I would get it because I'll be listening to music way more then I'll be wathcing a movie while driving. What do you think????

Attachments

• JVC.jpg
    JVC.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 118
  • PIONEER DEH-P6850MP.jpg
    PIONEER DEH-P6850MP.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
it was too much work to find the s/n ratio on the units, but i would probably go with the jvc because of
dvd support
5Volt preouts (can be a good or bad factor)
24bit dac
but really its probably much of a ,muchness, go withthe one thats easier to use and seems to sound better.