Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lower pacie flange scraping...D'ohh

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
G'day
Lower pacemaker flanges (that bolt to the Y pipes) are scrapping on higher speed bumps (not all of them,but a couple of ones at work even sir edmond hillary would be nervous climbing!!!)not to sure if the bumps are trying to push them towards the rear end of car and eventually weaken/break something.
Car (vs comm) is standard height,exhaust system is done right (not lowered or sagging)
Anyone got any ideads how to lift em up a bit?
i've been tossing around silly ideas in my head...Higher engine mounts to lift height of engine and pipes...raising the car with lowering ( ? ) blocks... going to 235/50/17 tyres instead of 235/45/17 (unsure about the turning circle at front!)...different kind of shockies...???
Anyone got a thought?

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Go to an exhaust shop and get them welded straight onto the Y-Pipe? I read that if you let this go it can cause your extractors to crack over time ay so as you said it will eventually weaken/break something and that will most probably be the extractors.

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
^^ spot on.

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Go to an exhaust shop and get them welded straight onto the Y-Pipe? I read that if you let this go it can cause your extractors to crack over time ay so as you said it will eventually weaken/break something and that will most probably be the extractors.

i never thought of that,though the pipes and flanges are ceramic coated it'd be a shame to cut em up!!

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
engine mounts stuffed?

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What if i cut the flanges (extractor and Y bend) off right at the actual flange,and that would probably leave a 30 mm (?) gap,then get a 100mm long stainless steel pipe/sleeve to go over them -with a 25mm cut lengthways at each end- header/exhaust gasket goo ,then clamp them on.Cos if they're welded on and you had to take them out in future for any reason it would be too damn hard,but this way you'd just unclamp at usual place for easy removal,plus the heat from the weld might weaken the pipe tensity/ceramic coating.
Would anyone reckon in favor of this idea,or would clamping a sleeve be out the question???

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I had the same problem. I got them to make up a new Y piece at the shop. Also if you undo the bolts that hold the extractors to the heads, there is a certain amount you can lift the extractors then bolt them back up.

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
What if i cut the flanges (extractor and Y bend) off right at the actual flange,and that would probably leave a 30 mm (?) gap,then get a 100mm long stainless steel pipe/sleeve to go over them -with a 25mm cut lengthways at each end- header/exhaust gasket goo ,then clamp them on.Cos if they're welded on and you had to take them out in future for any reason it would be too damn hard,but this way you'd just unclamp at usual place for easy removal,plus the heat from the weld might weaken the pipe tensity/ceramic coating.
Would anyone reckon in favor of this idea,or would clamping a sleeve be out the question???

Yea not really a fan of clamps mate, heard they can leak and will never be 100% sealed ay. It's either flanges or straight welded I reckon...

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
I had the same problem. I got them to make up a new Y piece at the shop. Also if you undo the bolts that hold the extractors to the heads, there is a certain amount you can lift the extractors then bolt them back up.

So what did they do with the Y-piece to mod it???