Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowndes and Whincup defecting?

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
just because he is driving a Holden, doesn't mean i will follow Lowndes.... although i may follow Whincup... i have always had respect for him... he came up through the ranks the hard way, and he is talented!

Premier 350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Aclaim Wagon
ford Angst.

Glad to have Whincup back, the only thing good about judas lowndes back at Holden is that at least he is'nt in a ford.

And Vodaphone took sponsor ship from 2gayfl teams to fund the new 888, Ices my cake!

The ford appologists have really bunched their panties over this one, their angst on the V8
forums is a delight to read.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Whincup's response to fans criticism of the decision:

LET me say right from the start that I fully support TeamVodafone's decision to race Holdens next year.

I am proud to say that I will be associated with the Australian icon.

However, ever since we announced the decision today, I have been bombarded with questions, especially on my website.

I could be very weak and say it's got nothing to do with me, but I honestly fully support the team with what they've done.

I personally think there are three different types of fans.

First, we have had a huge response from the Holden fans who think it's fantastic news and are welcoming us on board.

Then you have the driver and team fans who are also in favour of the decision. They see the partnership as a good one that will allow us to deliver results.

Then we have the hard-core Ford fans who are bitterly disappointed with what's happened.

I've been getting this massive abuse from all these Ford people asking why I'm not loyal to the brand, but how can you be?

I don't feel any loyalty to Ford because they showed none to me.

Once you become a bit abusive for changing manufacturers it think it's important that these people look at the facts before they get too vocal.

The fact is that at the moment we don't have any manufacturer support.

At the end of 2008 when I won my first championship I personally approached Ford and pleaded with them to come up with some type of arrangement where they could use my win to get some good publicity.

While I tried for many months to reach agreement they chose to walk away.

They weren't interested in doing anything with myself or the team.

I tried my best to align myself to them and they showed me no loyalty whatsoever.

Therefore when the opportunity came up with Holden - which they embraced with open arms - straight up it was a great decision.

The Holden product is a fantastic product and TeamVodafone builds a fantastic race car and combined they will be a powerful combination.

It's a great step forward and it's also a nostalgic step backwards for me because I started with a Holden in 2003.

I didn't enjoy the success I wanted with them, but this now gives me the opportunity to get the Red Lion over the line.

Everyone knows what a big fan I am of Valentino Rossi who won world motorcycle championships with Honda and then moved to Yamaha and won again.

Well, I hope I can do a Rossi and win with Holden, too. No one has ever won championships with Holden and Ford, so with myself having achieved most of my goals in V8s this offers brand new goals and challenges.

But first I have to focus on the remainder of this year, starting with the big job I've got ahead of me this weekend at Sandown.

If I thought this announcement would have affected my performance I wouldn't have been involved.

So after this announcement all will be forgotten until the end of the year. It will be business as usual tomorrow.

I'll go home and do my normal preparation, look at video from last year, go over the data and immerse myself on focusing on getting the car the fastest around the track.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Does it actually matter they are switching? At the end of the day, the only difference in the cars is a little badge and the shape of the shell.

Minux, why bore us with the same lines everytime V8 supercars are brought up? You sound like a violin, it's quiet obvious you don't like V8 supercars, so mabye get over it?

All i can say is, bloody hilarious.....The blue oval loyalists are going to hate this! They have lost there top team, but really, who can blame 888? They lost Ford backing after doing so much to put Ford back on the map in V8 supercars.....But, i guess atleast Ford are saving money, albeit at the expense of there best team by far! ;)

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
*puts flame suit on*

im actually a ford fan, but to me, the v8 "supercars" are just that. they arent the car you buy at the lot and drive home.
honestly, i cant blame them, if holden will give them a shell AND some money, wouldn't you swap over?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Damn shame that.. I used to enjoy seeing all the Holden supporters get their backs up when Ford won. Just wait and see, next year every Holden support will be a Lowndes/Whincup FANATIC even though this year they slag the two off.

That is the nature of virtually all sports. Just like 99% of team sports. For example, if you play AFL in one team, then obviously everyone else in the other teams are 'enemy' so to speak. If at the end of the year one of the enemies get drafted to your team, then ofcourse you then take them and think of them as friend and team mate and no longer the enemy.

Its just the passion that goes with what people support or follow.

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Time to ask Toyota BMW Mercedes Mitsubishi to come over and join the v8 ranks before this gets any worse.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
lol at Mitsubishi they can't even afford to take a dump atm!
Seriously this is great news ive been a Lowndes fan since his HRT days and i still support him now! I always said if Holden can't win Lowndes better win for Ford!

Its just a pity that Skaife and Lowndes can't team up again :(

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Well I was thinking of datsun:D. But i left out Chrysler.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
The R35 would be interesting but after the 32 it'd never be allowed to race in aus.