Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG HSV's? What the?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
This is crap IMO.
They have gone the wrong way. they are running VSI and a pretty sad system too (same brand as the omega LPG commo) The system cannot flow enogh gas so it has to swap back to petrol at certain rpm/ load.
That is poor to say the least.
I have personally fitted the new JTG LIQUID LPG INJECTION to a 317 VE and this system is far superior than VSI. It injects the LPG as a liquid into the intake and this freezes or supechills the incomming air charge therefore making it more dense thus increasing performance above that of petrol.
The one I did absolutley pooped on petrol (premium) performance right across the rangs, from idle to redline it put petrol to same.
I can't tell you the results for that one but for the VE calais 6.0L I have also done it came up with 225RWKW on PULP and 243RWKW on LPG!!!!!!!
That is with no tune at all. With a tune for LPG this figure is improved again.
This system runs a pump inside the gas tank and runs the liquid LPG right up to the injectors and it runs a return line and pressure regulator just likje petrol.
There is no converter or reducer to deal with and the system flows more than enough to run a 317 to redline all day long.

They should have gone with JTG. At least than they would have had a system that would compare to the car. The Engines are awesome in em and they run like a friggin animal so when they go even better on LPG thats something that makes me smile every time. And certainly makes my customers happy too and it shows by the amount of people who I have booked in for it.
JTG All the way.
HSV should take note and look into it. If they want to introduce LPG they should do it with a real big bang. Imagine them being able to sell a 317 as a (for instance) 360 running LPG!!!!!!!! Eat that sukka's!!!

I got to go for a cruise in one these setups in a calais, very very very impressive.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
This is crap IMO.
They have gone the wrong way. they are running VSI and a pretty sad system too (same brand as the omega LPG commo) The system cannot flow enogh gas so it has to swap back to petrol at certain rpm/ load.
!

It appears I have misintepreted the release:

This is not a taxi system – it is a direct-injection LPG. We are running the car around now and if I didn’t tell you it had LPG, you wouldn’t know,” he said.

it doesnt actually specify lgi, but obviously you recognise it as an svi system, how can this be classified as direct injection though? It also appears they have been slightly deceptive in claiming it gets the same power on lpg, you reckon it will be changing over to petrol at full throttle etc?

Why do you think they havent gone the lgi route.....will it add another couple of $1000 to the overall price, they must have sound reasons?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
As for 70's muscle cars tehy are hardly parked because of fuel, they are parked because 99% of them are worth a bloody fortune. From LC toranas to RX2's, wwith how many are being stolen its not worth people seeing them, who uses a 70's muscle car as a daily anyway?

Yes I take your point that someone with an original gtho isnt going to use it as a daily or make it less original by putting lpg on it, however, when I was referring to muscle cars I was specifically thinking about all the HQ-HZs, torana, v8s out there that have been modded in some way.( alot of these cars have more muscle than original gthos) ie your typical hz ute with a modded 308 which would probably do no better than 12mpg on petrol, youll see a high % of these types of cars running lpg now and being used as a daily or the more unique like a 70s ford galaxie all restored but running lpg etc.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Yes I take your point that someone with an original gtho isnt going to use it as a daily or make it less original by putting lpg on it, however, when I was referring to muscle cars I was specifically thinking about all the HQ-HZs, torana, v8s out there that have been modded in some way.( alot of these cars have more muscle than original gthos) ie your typical hz ute with a modded 308 which would probably do no better than 12mpg on petrol, youll see a high % of these types of cars running lpg now and being used as a daily or the more unique like a 70s ford galaxie all restored but running lpg etc.

I think many of these run straight gas. My VC commodore I ran straight gas through a 750 holley, it ran a charm, would be a pig on dual fuel though.

I rarely see these old cars out and about now, most have been crashed up, bought up etc for restorations.

Seriously though, the kits blownba is talking about are bloody brilliant and people bagging gas no longer can.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There's a HZ? One tonner with a LS1 and direct injection around here. Last time at the track he snapped something in the driveline on the launch so it goes allright :)

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
I didn't buy a 6.2L HSV ,then thought what about fuel economy !!

I laugh when i fill it up and it says 160k till empty... :rofl:

I don't care if they do go dual fuel option... but there should always be a petrol only option on these "performance" cars as long as there is oil in the ground....

I only use 98 anyway as it states in the log books that is what you have to use for maximum power thru the rev range, although it can run on 91 the car will compensate for it but not be at it's full potential....not the reason why i bought the car in the first place...

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
I didn't buy a 6.2L HSV ,then thought what about fuel economy !!

I laugh when i fill it up and it says 160k till empty... :rofl:

I don't care if they do go dual fuel option... but there should always be a petrol only option on these "performance" cars as long as there is oil in the ground....

I only use 98 anyway as it states in the log books that is what you have to use for maximum power thru the rev range, although it can run on 91 the car will compensate for it but not be at it's full potential....not the reason why i bought the car in the first place...

You already have a hsv and dont mind paying the price of petrol, you are not their target!
perhaps they want to get more people into them that have held back because fuel price is a consideration.

B3ND3R

Reaction score
Im sure they have run the scenarios here, what I dont know of course is how much it would take to properly develop a higher compression motor and the resistance many would have to driving an lpg only vehicle.

you're a little off dude. yes lpg has an RON of 112-ish, however it burns a lot hotter. increasing comp ratios is theoretically possible, but the cylinder heads will be degrading a lot faster.

VSI is a darn good system, i have heard a bit about liquid injection, but if it injects 0.02ml too much, the expansion rate will blow the cylinder head right off the block. give it a few years untill it is down pat then i reckon liquid injection will become a lot more mainstream.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
you're a little off dude. yes lpg has an RON of 112-ish, however it burns a lot hotter. increasing comp ratios is theoretically possible, but the cylinder heads will be degrading a lot faster.

Dude? how am I a little off, sure the combustion conditions will be different for higher compression and to get the most out of lpg that's what can be/should be done. Did I suggest they could just put in a set of longer rods or taller pistons to increase the comp ratio and all would be fine?, no I suggested that they would need time and money to properly develop a high compression motor :bang::bang:

VSI is a darn good system, i have heard a bit about liquid injection, but if it injects 0.02ml too much, the expansion rate will blow the cylinder head right off the block. give it a few years untill it is down pat then i reckon liquid injection will become a lot more mainstream.

Interesting..... slightly richer mix of fuel can blow the head off in an lgi system? sounds a bit fanciful, but if it is happening, so be it. Be interesting to here what Blownba can tell us about that.

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
What i dont understand is why 95% of people thing LPG is not a good performance fuel, well your wrong, setup right it can be as good and if not better that PULP

I have a Vapour Injected system on my VZ and its well on par with Gas and Fuel, you cant tell when your on gas or fuel, both drive the same

I have mates that have done 10 second passes in cars that run LPG, i think setup right and you can make some high performance cars, that are good and fuel and are resonably good to the enviroment