Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG on 98 VT Wagon

petesmith

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE SS-V
Hi All,

First post on here, hope im in the right section.

I have just bought a 1998 VT Wagon 50th Anniversary with a VX engine with 185,000k's on it.

I am looking to put LPG on it before the grant drops next month and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the best system to put in.
Due to me buying a wagon, i will be putting in a donut tank.
I have been quoted roughly same prices ranging from $2350-$2800 varying in system brands.
People say that IMPCO are the best one's, i was quoted for Polliauto, Sprintgas among others.
Any ideas as to which one i should put in?
The cheapest quote has been for a Polliauto system for $2350, IMPCO at $2600 and Sprintgas at $2500.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

JuzAndBec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina 3.8
I have not heard of Polliauto so cannot comment on that. It is said that IMPCO is the best fit for the Commodore as it provides a bit more power than the Sprintgas, but there is no problem with a Sprintgas system in general.
3 weeks ago I had an IMPCO style (copy ) system installed and it is just fantastic, $300 out of pocket after $1750 rebate - it was on special a few weeks ago but not now. I think a donut tank would also cost a bit more so the prices you are getting sound good.
As a side note, make sure the plugs, leads and coils are in good nick and it is running well to start with.

Good luck and let us know.

petesmith

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE SS-V
Thanks for the response!

I have decided to go with the Polliauto system. The guy i spoke to sounded good, went into quite a bit of detail with me whereas alot of people were reluctant to. Every installer had their own opinion as to which system works better on the commodores, and the system that worked better was the one they were selling, suprise suprise!!

So for $600 out of pocket, have got it booked in for next Wednesday. Car is in good nick, my brother is a mechanic and basically rebuilt the whole front end, serviced it, went over everything and said all looks good so hopefully no dramas. Not sure on leads and coils, plugs were just changed a week ago, leads i will have to have a look at tomorrow and coils, well, i don't know how to tell what condition it is in lol!

JuzAndBec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina 3.8
Sounds good. I was in the same boat with the electicals, had changed the plugs but no idea on leads and coil pack. During conversion they rang and said the leads well quite old and for $100 they installed Gasmaster? leads. There used to be a tiny miss and vibration on idle but now I have to check the tacho to see if its running so happy with the lead change suggestion.

Good luck with the conversion

petesmith

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE SS-V
Dropped car off today, hopefully all goes well. I have been told Poliauto is the same as Vaille, anyone know if this is true?

BT1-355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 & BLOWN STATESMAN
Dropped car off today, hopefully all goes well. I have been told Poliauto is the same as Vaille, anyone know if this is true?

They look the same, and they both do the same thing. The best way i'll put it to you is impco to impco style "nothing beats genuine items"

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
My brother in law has a geniune impco system, with a metal mixer etc, and i have a oakleigh made AMR copy. Both run excellent, although as his is l67 seems he has more probs as a car in general. Benefit of the wagon is you wont need to upgrade springs like sedans have to. King springs made a spring for the lpg fitted cars with the big tanks (96litre) and i learnt the hard way that i needed to fit this, a camber kit and some springs later.

petesmith

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE SS-V
Picked up car today, runs great, needed new leads, the others were burnt out. Seems a good system so far, no dramas at all. Have lost a little bit of power, nothing to complain about though! Tank sits flush in the spare wheel well which is great, little LED indicator next to dash for the gas with a little button to switch it over to petrol. Looks like a pretty clean job they have done, will keep you updated if i have any dramas! Fingers crossed all stays well! :)

BT1-355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 & BLOWN STATESMAN
Put some photos up on the gas conversion