Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG stuff

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
dolphin14 said:
the converter/regulator that i had in the VC had the primer button, but it was worked on a solonoid thru the change-over switch inside the car. Also you may have noticed that the regulator is connected into the heater system. This is because the gas itself needs to be heated before it will ignite properly. Hence the reason it is best to start on petrol then change to LPG when the motor is warm/warming up. As for the primer button flooding the engine this is very tru because it by passes the regulator and gives a burst of "concentrated" LPG thru to the mixer.

Actually it's not that at all. Gas doesn't need to be heated. Cooling fluid or at least water needs to be circulated through the converter, or it will freeze. When LPG enters the atmosphere, the state of it changes. The converter needs fluid circulating through it so it stops it from freezing up. I couldn't start my car once because I had low coolant in the radiator and made the converter freeze.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I think I want a 425 now! :yeah:

stevenvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice gen 3, 1975 HJ Statesman
Hi i have just bought a VK on gas off my borther in law and having problems with it running properly every time you take off it coughs and splutters he sssssaid he put a full tank of fuel in it and then this happened any ideas could it be the converter has given up or maybe a leak or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steven.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Check for vacuum leaks around the mixer to carb, adjust the idle on the mixer to gain the highest idle. Replace dirty air filter. Is the diaphragm inside the mixer in good condition without rips? Take the gas hose off the mixer and crank the motor. Smell gas vapour coming out? If so, the converter is probably alright. There is a few things to check.

stevenvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have replaced the filter done a full service this happened just after he put new gas into it so not sure but ill do what you said and see how it goes. thanks for the help.

stevenvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that Slim I tried everything you said but still no luck. Ive turned the gas off now and bypassed everything so its running back on fuel but wont stay running when the air cleaner cover is on i wish it was a 8 I never have any problems with them but this thing i am so sick of it.