Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG the caprice or not the LPG the caprice... a decision needs to be made

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
LPG the caprice or not to the LPG the caprice... a decision needs to be made

Ok, I need to make a decision in the next week. To LPG my 56000km WK Caprice 5.7 litre V8 engine or to keep it stock standard.

I found a guy who can put in one of the newer Vapour Injection system (ones that are not accustom to backfiring) for $4700 - $3000 gov rebate. The guys just started his business but used to work for a reputable LPG installer.

I plan to keep the car for 3-4 years and once LPG is install I will lease it [from myself] and get salary sacrifice tax savings. After I put it on a lease I cant put LPG in anymore, its gotta be done beforehand.

The liquid injection system is too dear for me at $6000 in WA.

If I had more time I would wait until fuel goes back up before making the move but I gotta put it on a lease asap to get my tax savings [which is one of the reason I got the car].

What do you guys think? Also how do you think it will affect the resale value of the car?

PS
The installer says I wont feel any power loss but also no power gain. I also worked out I will recoup the $1700 out of pocket expenses back in about 1 year. When I was in Victoria earlier this month I saw lots of WK Caprices, some V8, on LPG.

steve40

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
Yea do it,as long as as you can trust the installer seeing he has just gone out on his own........................

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
The dude came recommended by my mechanic... whom I trust... so it should be good. I'm gonna go over to his workshop and inspect his work before I go ahead.

My theory is if he's from a trusted installed and now gone on his own, he needs to build a reputation so he will care about his work.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Just do it - you won't look back!

Just out of curiosity, what equipment does this installer use?

As for the resale value of the car, expect it to actually increase with a decent LPG system installed. Power-wise, expect similar driveability compared to petrol only operation, and expect torque to be slightly higher at the low engine speeds.

Regards,
Dave

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
The system quoted to me is branded Parnell System - PRIS (vapour injection)

zedweg

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman 5.7
i just had my wh international ..5.7 done gas injection italian system.. bloody good it cost me 145$ from melb to goldcoast fully loaded 5 ppl..sitting on 115km..well worth the money if your hanging on to your car for a while ..and if you want to give it agut full it automaticly goes to petrol for a few seconds .just for the high revs..

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I steer away from LPG whenever i hear it. Sellers apparently make it a big selling feature, but once they said it to me i wasn't interested, but apparently i was the first person for many of them that turned away from all the LPG sales.

I wouldn't put LPG in any of my cars, i know it's crap. However i've seen what can be done with V8 ethanol engines and **** they're powerful. YellaTerra built a custom Ethanol engine for an old XR, damn car has so much power, more than 500HP! On the dyno that engine blew off a rocker cover (before YellaTerra had to then fix it).

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Well I got her converted, well ist still being done, I pick it up tomorrow. Vapour Injection LPG. One of the more expensive systems. The system is reversible too, so if I ever (not likely) wish to remove it, I can.

BTW; I got a donut tank and will get either a space saver tyre or one of them run flat kits.