Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Cam Installation

VY_Black_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7
Hey fellas, finally brought me a black vy ss but now I'm kinda regerting it just because of how many ks are on the car (262***km). But i got some plans for it like installing a cam/rebuild the engine. But unfortunately I don't have that type of mechanic knowledge to be able to do that but I am very very keen.

so here's my question
1. whats parts would I need to cam it?
2. how much would money would I need?
3. if can't do it myself, do you know any shops in nz akl that would install a cam?
4. any threads, website or videos that shows how to install a cam/rebuild a engine

ps: any tips or trick will be appreciated

Cheers X.T

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There are lots of great rebuild LS videos on the Youtubes.

One of my favs is

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s contents:
IMG_4604.jpeg
IMG_4605.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg
IMG_4607.jpeg
IMG_4608.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

IMG_4609.jpeg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
After they hit 200k mark on odometer time to prepare for rebuilding stuff as it tires or breaks.

Personally I'd be looking for another motor to rebuild so can keep car on the road driving assuming current engine isn't leaking like a sieve from rear main seal or lifter issues.

Time to start saving or weigh up if prefer to get something better & move it on.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
To swap out the cam it actually only needs the chosen cam then pushrods and valve springs to meet lift requirements, however, with that amount of kilometres most people wouldn't recommend to just do that. At a minimum lifters, lifter buckets and an oil pump should be added. There is also the trunnions that the internet loves to upgrade, they do fail. We have dug in pretty deep by this stage so before starting maybe do a compression test, is it using any oil? do valve stem seals while the heads are apart too. A few special tools are needed too, harmonic balancer remover and install tool as well as a valve spring compressor are a must as well as a torque wrench and angle gauge if running tty head bolts. Price up a cam kit online it is probably the best way as some come with gaskets, head bolts and timing cover seal and don't forget to factor in a tune. The condition of the engine before you start is the biggest factor.

VY_Black_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7
To swap out the cam it actually only needs the chosen cam then pushrods and valve springs to meet lift requirements, however, with that amount of kilometres most people wouldn't recommend to just do that. At a minimum lifters, lifter buckets and an oil pump should be added. There is also the trunnions that the internet loves to upgrade, they do fail. We have dug in pretty deep by this stage so before starting maybe do a compression test, is it using any oil? do valve stem seals while the heads are apart too. A few special tools are needed too, harmonic balancer remover and install tool as well as a valve spring compressor are a must as well as a torque wrench and angle gauge if running tty head bolts. Price up a cam kit online it is probably the best way as some come with gaskets, head bolts and timing cover seal and don't forget to factor in a tune. The condition of the engine before you start is the biggest factor.
really appreciated your advice bro, ill definitely do a compression test. my car definitely got alot of millage and im only 18 and don't have the privileges of daddies money to buy another ls1 engine so would you have any suggestion what I can do to my v8 to prevent it from blowing up on me?

cheers mate

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't forget you will need to budget about $1300 for a tune.