Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Cam Installation

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think cams are a bit of a wank. If wanting decent useable power then boost is the go.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My take on this would be to pull the engine and refresh it yourself. Lots of learning and then have new skills and tools to slowly modify it from there.

VY_Black_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7
My take on this would be to pull the engine and refresh it yourself. Lots of learning and then have new skills and tools to slowly modify it from there.
would you know of any threads that explains on rebuilding a ls1 cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Do a youtube search...There are plenty on there

Here's couple I found with a 3 second search without looking at them at all

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No but I did link some videos earlier in the thread.
Then in that folder link there are step by step guides as well. Quite a few.

You can also down load the factory manual and that has a step by step guide on each procedure.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If you’re looking for a shop in Auckland then talk to pro tune in Manukau Wayne is an absolute guru when it comes to all things LS, even if you do the mechanical work yourself and take it to him for tuning. When it comes to the tuning side of things there’s tuners and then there are “tuners” if you know what I mean

Reactions: Lex

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I would start by rebuilding a simple engine like a old lawn mower, find one someone is throwing out

Then buy an engine stand, and a good tool kit, including torque wrenches and all the other stuff you'll need as you go

Then move on to a multi cylinder engine, again, find any old engine, maybe a cheap or free old V6 buick out of a commodore, pull it totally apart, then put it back together, you don't need to replace parts if it isn't going back into a car, think of it as a training tool, so the only real cost would be tools

Until then, get a floor jack, some engine stands, and do a full service on your car, buy some flush and do a engine oil and filter change, coolant, power steering, brake inspection and flush, transmission oil/fluid, and diff oil, inspect all belts and hoses, check all bushings and joints in the suspension and replace where required, if you don't thrash your car it should survive for another 100k km hopefully, not counting general maintenance and replacing old parts like sensors and other bits that typically go out on older higher milage cars

What the above does is introduce you to the "infernal combustion engine" and most of the other bits you'll need to address later

Be organised, lable EVERYTHING, you'll need space, a BIG white board to knock up your plans, goals, parts and most importantly the costs

Costs always blow out, work out how much you think you will spend, then double it, at least

Do all of this prior to pulling your engine

Your only 18, don't rush, think of it as your 2 year project of learning, only after all of the above, pull your engine

I cannot count how many people that have just "dug in' only to have a car that never runs again, or turns into never ending unfinished project

DON'T start buying parts for the LS build yet (apart from servicingit), wait until you pull it and get it cleaned and machined, that will let you know what stuff you actually need

You'll probably need a cheap reliable daily for a year once you pull the pin on the LS rebuild, there are always hurdles to jump, expect them and you will be fine, stuff NEVER goes to plan, think of them as learning experiences and stay positive

Always have plans, in 3 months have the car 100% services, in 1 year know more than you do now about engines than you do now, in 2 years know more, in 3 years........, in 5 years........

Always be realistic and add in "fudge " factors to time lines

Nothing good happens quick, you need deep time for the good to evolve

Buy once-cry once

Start a build thread with lots of pictures NOW and record everything you do, your servicing, your lawn mower build, your plans, goals and time lines

Remember this should be fun and enjoyable, if it isn't fun and enjoyable your going to hit a wall, hard, and lose motivation

Happy automotive journeys