Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 Cam Upgrade

MTANNER

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Thinking about putting a comp cam mutha thumpr in my vx ss, has anyone put in one of these cams?

235/249 .573 .558 109 LSA

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
good luck with PTV, that cam won't make power anywhere near a 232/234 it will just be a grumpy mother......

MTANNER

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
good luck with PTV, that cam won't make power anywhere near a 232/234 it will just be a grumpy mother......

have heard comp cams 232/234 is a common choice for ls1 and make good power, but after something really lumpy, cars only a weekend driver so driving ability isnt a concern. With new heads and some new pistons to bump up the compression, and bigger intake, it should make decent power?, or should i just go for something like 232/234 with lower LSA?

v8commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
hey man I got a vx ss 3000 stallie, 232/234 112lsa, twin 2.5 exhaust, 11.0 comp, 411rwhp. 232/234 is as big as you can go with standard heads, if you gonna change the heads you can go bigger or stay with it. I have had it tuned both ways before it was lumpy now its lumpier and you shake inside the car. never had a bigger cam then this so cant say much about 235/249 .573 .558 109 LSA.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
have heard comp cams 232/234 is a common choice for ls1 and make good power, but after something really lumpy, cars only a weekend driver so driving ability isnt a concern. With new heads and some new pistons to bump up the compression, and bigger intake, it should make decent power?, or should i just go for something like 232/234 with lower LSA?

That massive exhaust profile will hurt a engine with standard pistons, will the new pistons have valve reliefs?
You can make that cam with a lower LSA but why stop there, for the same amount of money get a custom cam profile to suit your mods. Places like flowtechinduction.com can do this

Is this car a manual or Auto? And as V8commodore has said the car can be made lumpy with the tune

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Not the lumpy cam crap again:boxing:

dazadude

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais Auto LS1
As I have read on other sites, the main problem with these cams is "Vacuum".
They are really designed for Lsx engines in older cars or hot rods. I was thinking of getting one a long time ago as well. Please search the U.S. sites as well, as people have taken them back out because of this issue and others problems.

Love the sound though !

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
vacuum canister will fix that issue

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Much better grinds out there these days. If its gunna sounds tuff you want it to have the performance to back it up.

It will be gutless under 4000RPM

MTANNER

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
That massive exhaust profile will hurt a engine with standard pistons, will the new pistons have valve reliefs?
You can make that cam with a lower LSA but why stop there, for the same amount of money get a custom cam profile to suit your mods. Places like flowtechinduction.com can do this

Is this car a manual or Auto? And as V8commodore has said the car can be made lumpy with the tune

i had a look at flow tech inductions, they have some good deals for custom camshaft and valvetrain packages

details about my car:
2002 vx ss
149,***ks
6 speed manual
candy apple red

pacemaker 4:1 extractors, high flow cats with 2.5inch exhaust
Active Automotives Alloy OTR and Mafless Tune

Dynoed at 333rwhp