Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 coolant leak back of engine??

samlicastro94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Clubsport R8
Okay so I have an LS1 clubsport and had just finished changing the oil, taken it for a drive around the block park up and smell coolant so I popped the bonnet could hear a hissing coming from the back of the engine, not the heater pipes or heater tap and when looking underneath quite a large amount of coolant was coming out drivers side from the rear of the engine I am absolutely stumped as to what it could be?? Intake manifold gasket?? Surely not.
EDIT: Had depressurised the cooling system left it for 15 minutes and started it up again and nothing??

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'd be looking at the coolant crossover between the heads (if it has 1 fitted) or the coolant crossover block offs on the head
These are sealed by a small metal gasket with an integrated O'ring/seal that may be leaking whilst under pressure

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
There is a welch plug at the back of the heads.

samlicastro94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Clubsport R8
SOLVED GUYS: forgot to post that it was resolved however I ended up jacking up the car and it was in fact the heater hoses it had a pinhole leak which was caused by the corner of the cylinder head there was no way to tell from up above.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Glad you found the problem. Thanks for reporting back.