Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Engine Warm-up Time..

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Just wondering how long it is taking for others with an LS1 for the engine to warm. "Warm" would be the normal position where the temp needle is between 1/4 & 1/2 on the gauge. ..about one third.

On my SCV6, it's reasonably quick and takes about 5 klms, (about 5 minutes) at normal 60-80 kph speeds for the gauge to read 1/3. Naturally this is nothing more than mild acceleration and cruising.

With the LS1, it takes considerably longer, perhaps 20 klms or more and not go passed a 1/4. It will eventually make it to 1/3, but not after some time.

Question..
Before I pull the old thermostat and replace with a new one, is this much longer warm-up somewhat normal for LS1s?
I'm guessing my thermostat is opening fine, but not fully closing to allow fast warm up.

(Apart from excessive wear & tear, fuel economy is disgusting when the engines are cold. Have you ever watched the "instant fuel consumption" to see how high the numbers go when they're cold?)

Thanks

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
mine both take about 10 minutes I suppose in this weather (back streets stop start).

Interestingly my economy when cold is only bad in my Clubsport the Monaro behaves itself, been meaning to get this looked at but the overall economy is normal so I'm not too worried. Instant rating isn't as important as the overall.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Thanks.. FWIW, I guess I'll pull the thermostat and swap it with a new. Mine takes longer than 10 mins and still isn't thoroughly warm after that.

The instant rating does show the differences in cold and warm consumption at a particular throttle position and engine load. It's easily triple. The overall is only reduced by enough coasting.
With the SCV6, I have say 11.0 L/100, even after 100-200 ks since reset, I can watch it jump to 11.2 just from the 5-10 mins of warm up driving.. Just saying, it's very interesting to note.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I wouldn't be worried about the fuel thing but I'd be using a good winter rated Oil especially in Melbourne to counter the warm up times. I'm using Penrite 5W40 atm.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Mine takes around 10 minutes as well.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
I'm using the Delco synthetic 5W30 as per the owner's manual recommendation. 30 weight has been a GM spec since the 60's and is in my 1969 Chev owner's manual too.
The engine has done near 300K, so I swapped the valve stem seals with a set of Crane Vitons. That eliminated the slight puff of blue at start up, and should keep oil consumption normal.
The rubber seals that came out were hard.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Thanks guys, yeah looks like my 'stat might be faulty.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
I let mine idle for a minute or two before i set off warms up in 10-15mins but don't get over 60kmh before i reach my destination.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I just start mine shut the garage and drive off, probably takes around 10 minutes perhaps a bit less to get close to its normal position on the gauge, mostly side street stop start during that period. Car has been servcied by a workshop that services and modifies lots of LS powered cars and has been running a 15w40 oil for the past 5 to 6 years without any problems.